Wrong bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nuttyboy

Regular
Hello all.
I'm pretty inexperienced in this biking lark. I had a scott yecora mountain bike that I found was hurting my back and shoulders due to the stooped riding position so I replaced it with a carrera crossfire 2 hybrid. I find it's not geared very well so I tend to stick to cycle paths and quiet roads for everyone's sake. I've enjoyed hauling my fat ass so much recently and I fancy doing a long distance journey with it. What I hope to do is the rob roy way. What I've found with the thin tyres (700x42c) is that they aren't very stable on gravel. So my question is......does anyone know if I can get chunkier tyres to fit my wheels or have I bought the wrong bike?
Thanks in advance

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to CC.

42c tyre are pretty far away from thin. You could get slightly wider tyres if the frame clearance allows but reducing the pressures to around 40 psi should make a marked difference to how the tyres handle loose surfaces like gravel with the existing.
Give it a try and report back.

Be aware that lower pressures will make the bike more sluggish on tarmac.

Hello all.
I'm pretty inexperienced in this biking lark. I had a scott yecora mountain bike that I found was hurting my back and shoulders due to the stooped riding position so I replaced it with a carrera crossfire 2 hybrid. I find it's not geared very well so I tend to stick to cycle paths and quiet roads for everyone's sake. I've enjoyed hauling my fat ass so much recently and I fancy doing a long distance journey with it. What I hope to do is the rob roy way. What I've found with the thin tyres (700x42c) is that they aren't very stable on gravel. So my question is......does anyone know if I can get chunkier tyres to fit my wheels or have I bought the wrong bike?
Thanks in advance

Kenda tyres by any chance? Cheap for a reason, these WTB's are way better and should give you loads of grip with some pressure fettling as @Cycleops suggested.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...VFuDtCh04gAklEAQYASABEgJGmvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

OP
OP
N

nuttyboy

Regular
Hello and :welcome: to CC.

42c tyre are pretty far away from thin. You could get slightly wider tyres if the frame clearance allows but reducing the pressures to around 40 psi should make a marked difference to how the tyres handle loose surfaces like gravel with the existing.
Give it a try and report back.

Be aware that lower pressures will make the bike more sluggish on tarmac.

Hi Cycleops, I agree they aren't the thinnest but compared to my old bike they are thinner than I was used to. I'll give the pressure adjustment as you suggested and get back to you. Don't think it will make much difference to the speed my legs can propel me just yet :laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom