Wrong on so many levels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Pedestrians have the right of way. And long may it continue. Britain does not want to go the way of the USA with jaywalking laws and the like.

OP
OP
Blackandblue

Blackandblue

Pedestrians have the right of way. And long may it continue. Britain does not want to go the way of the USA with jaywalking laws and the like.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't look before you cross. Doesn't mean you can spout unjustified prejudiced claptrap at passers by.

Apologies if you're commenting on the more general remarks on this thread rather than the OP.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Doesn't mean you shouldn't look before you cross. Doesn't mean you can spout unjustified prejudiced claptrap at passers by.

Apologies if you're commenting on the more general remarks on this thread rather than the OP.

Just making sure that this didn't turn into a general rant against pedestrians - we've had quite a few threads where some of us seemed to be unaware that pedestrians do have the right of way.

nasserblue

... In fact the whole of Fenchurch Street ...

I used to work near there, and I swear every lunchtime there was near miss or worse involving a pedestrian.

I just don't get it, how can you step out on to that grey straight flat thing without looking first...

nasserblue

Ah sorry. Took it back to the rant at peds thread. On the converse side... Fenchurch Street is notoriously bad so those on the flat grey thing ought to slow down, after all most of the peds were actually near to a crossing when a motorbike mysteriously and spontaneously appeared in front of them...

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Oh, yeah, and the people that cross from between the buses opposite Brixton tube station...most do look first but, really, what is going through the minds of those that waltz out without looking. You really don't have to answer that.

Yup 2nd this big time ............ Peds do the same on the other side of the road from the bus stops outside Iceland .

marmalade400

Jaguar, I watched your video and was so shocked by it that I had to sign up to comment.

At 0:52 there is a man walking on the cycle lane. He is clearly visible in the distance for a long time and walking predictably away from you, yet instead of checking behind you and pulling out to pass him with some space you proceed directly on a collision course with his back without even slowing down, then start frantically beeping him once you get really close. You don't deviate from your course but luckily he steps out of your way. How is this any different from car drivers who instead of overtaking cyclists properly, skim by, blaring their horn?

The man had every right to walk there, it may be slightly inconvenient for you but that doesn't mean you have the right to punish him with a close pass and horn.

Only once in the video does someone step into your path sort of unexpectedly, the rest of the time you seem to be charging at them! You seem to think that everyone is obligated to get out of your way, when in reality it is you who has the obligation not to run into them.

On another point, when you criticise the lady cyclist waiting at the junction because "she is turning right but her position is poor" why do you then decide to overtake her when she is about to make a right turn?

Please consider some cycle training, it will give you the confidence to leave the cycle lane when necessary and help you relax more on the road, at the moment you seem very agressive whilst cycling, almost treating it as a war...

davefb

Guru
Just making sure that this didn't turn into a general rant against pedestrians - we've had quite a few threads where some of us seemed to be unaware that pedestrians do have the right of way.

yes,

if they started to cross that road, before you turned into it,, they have right of way..

anyway walking out in front of traffic is hardly something david prowse would be impressed with.

As Easy As Riding A Bike

On another point, when you criticise the lady cyclist waiting at the junction because "she is turning right but her position is poor" why do you then decide to overtake her when she is about to make a right turn?

I'd imagine it's because it's not at all clear that the cyclist is going to turn right, until she actually does?

As Easy As Riding A Bike

As I cycled through they stood stock still in the road and shouted at him/us/me "Well, you would've jumped them if they were red!"

This is a bafflingly common response.

A few days ago I was passed unreasonably close by a man who proceeded almost immediately to turn into a Co-op car park. I followed him, and quite politely, told him that he was too close to me, and that in future he should give more room. His reply?

"You cyclists... you ride on the pavement, jump red lights... et cetera... blah blah blah..."

I quickly pointed out to him that I never jump red lights, whether I'm on a bike, or driving my car, and that he should treat me as an individual.

It didn't seem to sink in, unfortunately.

Top Bottom