Wrong way up one way street to be legal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Pedestrians are advised to walk facing the traffic on roads without a footway: far more sensible than having a motor vehicle approach unseen. Similar for cyclists. Helmet cameras might be needed until the motorists are trained:smile:

we have one in a street in galgate near lancaster, thats in a marked lane though. i've had no problems using i so far.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There are fair number of one way roads with contraflow of either cyclists or cyclists and bus in Bristol, but I'm never sure whether the motorists just think there goes another cyclist wrong way up a one way street - have they noticed the signs (after all they have a piccy of a bike on it so its not relevant to them is it), are there enough signs?

jmaccyd

This was covered on LBC this morning. Inevitably 'fat bloke' early morning presenter (Nik Ferrari) was against it and interviewed Jon Snow while he cycled through London on the way to C4 while giving interview down mobile phone! Seems there will be some sort of sign at the start of the street but no painting or seperation of lanes or anything

bonj2

the 'listen again' on today's website only has a 4 minute clip for 7:00.
is it possible to download it?

Keith Oates

Janner
It could certainly help in getting cyclists to their destinations more directly. However, I think care will be needed, certainly in the early days, when going against the traffic flow, until everyone is used to the idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a contraflow (near Kincardine I think) that's just marked with a sign at entry. Its quite long and when you pass a car, even though the road is nearly two lanes wide, they look at you as if your crazy and shouldn't be there. (Well I am, they just shouldn't presume that :biggrin:)

domtyler

Über Member
BBC London had an interview with someone from the black cab association, he was quite literally showering the camera with sputum, he had gone a deep beetroot colour and was ranting on about red lights, one way streets etc. Absolutely hilarious! :biggrin:

spindrift

domtyler said:
BBC London had an interview with someone from the black cab association, he was quite literally showering the camera with sputum, he had gone a deep beetroot colour and was ranting on about red lights, one way streets etc. Absolutely hilarious! :biggrin:

Black cbbies can be scum sometimes.

Smoothhound

This could seriously straighten out my commute :biggrin:
But as a pedestrian I have a habit of only looking the way I expect traffic to be coming when crossing one way streets :biggrin:

I guess with some appropriate signage and lashings of public education it could work

CotterPin

I find that often if pedestrians don't hear a car then they won't bother looking either way anyway.

And on Today's Today programme there was an item about making hybrid cars noisier because people don't hear them. Maybe we should go back to putting bits of card in the spokes to make the bike noisier? :biggrin:

simoncc

There's a short road in Altrincham which has effectively been a one way street for cars and a two way one for bikes for years. A No Entry sign at one end stops vehicles entering at one end, but at the same end is a small, separate cycle lane which bypasses the No Entry restriction. The road is a narrow residential one, which is always clogged with parked cars on both sides leaving a narrow lane down the middle.

When I cycle the 'wrong' way down it and cars have to wait for me to pass I'm often told by irate drivers that the street is one way despite the absence of any signs to that effect, and some even take my photo on their phones so they can 'report' me.

Top Bottom