1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrong way up one way street to be legal!

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Regulator, 4 Jun 2008.

1. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

OK - only in one London borough - but it's a start.

Kensington & Chelsea are to allow cyclists to go the wrong way up one way streets, it has been announced. The Today programme chose Kevin Mayne (CTC) and Tiff Needell (sp?) (motoring journalist) as their speakers on the subject. No contraflow cycle lane will be required, as happens elsewhere. This will mirror what happens in many European countries.

Kevin Mayne - came over well, as a sensible level head proponent, who gave examples of where this worked well on the continent.

Tiff Needell - came over as your archetypal ranting moton, who seemed intent on dragging in RLJing at every opportunity and whose whole argument seemed to be that allowing this would make drivers have to slow down and be more aware of their surroundings - and this appeared to him to be a bad thing!

Cyclists definitely came out of this the best. It was good to hear some positive support for pro-cycling actions. Well done the Today programme and very well done Kevin.

Tiff - you sounded like a prat!

2. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

It depends on the street. Some are nice and wide and it would be fine, but I know some one way streets in K&C that hardly have any space for this...

3. davidtq

davidtq New Member

I guess just because it will be legal wont mean its "safe" and it will be down to a cyclists judgement as to whether or not to go the "wrong" way down a one way road, sounds like a scary prospect to me. That said I actually prefer oncoming traffic to traffic over taking.

4. About time we need this in York as all of the city center is one way all bar 2 or 3 streets.

5. spindrift

spindrift New Member

Good news.

6. mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane Veteran

How will that work if a street starts in K&C and finishes in another borough ? You could turn into the road legally and then half way down be illegal. What about roads where one side is in K&C and the other side in Westminster.

Good idea - but totally impractical on a borough by borough basis.
    :tongue:

7. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

It could work - I hope the streets will be signposted properly though.

I've mentioned before that I've seen this sort of thing in France, but over there (or in Le Mans at least) the exemption is clearly indicated to both cyclist and motorist by a "Sauf Cyclistes" sign under the sign showing the restriction/prohibition for motor vehicles. Not signing these things is a recipe for disaster, given the average motorist's knowledge of the highway code and traffic regulations.

8. Trillian

Trillian New Member

I thought most one way streets were officially a bridalway against traffic flow?

9. spindrift

spindrift New Member

Why in the name of left-handed Greek buggery have they asked "Captain Gatso" to comment?

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/news/article4061323.ece?Submitted=true

10. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

And why for the cycling comment is it Jon Snow, who freely admits to breaking the law on this?

11. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

12. spindrift

spindrift New Member

Safety advice from an arsonist?

13. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

As opposed to someone who advocated stealing the identities of the recently deceased in order to be able to drive at whatever speed you like on public highways? :smile:

It's great innit!

14. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

It's been legal in most towns here for years. It works pretty well in general and it's a boon for cyclists. The sky didn't fall down when it was introduced. I doubt it will in K&C. Although we don't have London taxicabs :smile:

15. hackbike 6

hackbike 6 New Member

London Taxicabs aren't too bad.

Look out for "Pre Booked"