WTD: Next bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aerobrain

Über Member
As some of you might have seen from another thread (intended to be for technical advice :-) ) I'm in the process of window shopping ready for buying a new bike in a month or two. I'm not expecting someone to just give me the answer here but I do like to hear other people's opinions/suggestions even if ultimately I ignore them. And I just like talking bikes :-) I know some of you have already posted on the other thread and that's what's at least convinced me to ignore the option of putting new groupset etc on my current bike.

Bit of background, I do Sportives (yes, I know this alone makes me the devil incarnate) and mainly long distance ones 100+ miles but I also enjoy my short sharp (20-30miles) rides. Not many big hills near me but I do do the occasional hilly sportive, C2C, Tour of the Peak etc. I weigh 100kg, aiming to get to 95kg but realistically won't get lower. I've recently spent £500 on a custom wheelset so whatever wheels come with the bike is irrelevant. My LBS stocks/sells Boardman Elite, Cannondale, Look, Neil Pryde, Colnago, Felt, Argon (along with a few others) and my preference would be to buy from them but at the end of the day if I'm spending £2k-£3k then don't want to cut my nose off to spite my face. That obviously covers my budget as well.

So, at the moment the (quite eclectic) list is as follows:

1) Boardman Elite SLR custom build with Ultegra or Force 22
2) Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra (2015 model)
3) Specialized Venge Expert (2015)

The Boardman being custom spec is good as I get the benefit of effectively not having to pay for a set of wheels I don't need and by all accounts the full hi mod frame is really top notch. The Cannondale is cheap enough I could just about afford a power meter which is something I really would like at some stage (I've had the discussion as to why many times, boils down to I'm a geek and I'd like to have one ;-) ). The Venge would obviously be a bit of a gamble with it effectively being a sprinters bike but I can't get past the fact I think it looks simply awesome and on the more sensible side I've read a few reviews where people have said it's a lot more versatile than you might imagine in non-sworks guise as the frame is a bit more supple.

So any comments on the above or other suggestions? BTW I've ruled out Canyon as I would like to buy from somewhere that has a shop in the UK. I've specifically looked at the 2015 Cannondale as it seems like they've dropped so much in price that it's the same price as the 2014 model when it's at sale price.

:-)

OP
OP
aerobrain

aerobrain

Über Member
Oh and £3k really is the max upper limit, technically I'd be looking to haggle in some free pedals at this price!

OP
OP
aerobrain

aerobrain

Über Member
Noooooooo don't tempt me past the £3k mark lol.

Seriously though, I can't believe how much the Cannondale's have come down in price from the 2014 models!!

Peteaud

Veteran
Noooooooo don't tempt me past the £3k mark lol.

Seriously though, I can't believe how much the Cannondale's have come down in price from the 2014 models!!

Come on, Di2, Dale supersix, nothing comes close, and it even looks the mutts nutts.

Understated, no silly go faster graphics.

£3099.00 and i bet you could get it for £3k.

Peteaud

Veteran
cannondale-supersix-evo-carbon-ultegra-di2-elite-road-bike-2015-p10297-28212_zoom.jpg

OP
OP
aerobrain

aerobrain

Über Member
Now I've seen the full 2015 SuperSix range specs/prices I reckon it's just a case of what do I want to spend/what groupset do I want on my new SuperSix :-)

Top Bottom