WTF!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Remarkable.

On tv earlier they seemed to be saying that he followed advice to lay sideways on the platform and that this took some of the impact and he didn't bang his head. Reminds me of the story of the lady in world war two who fell out of a bomber.

Brock

His wife, Rosario, said that one day he even reached out and stroked the face of one of the nurses.

"I looked at him and said, 'You're not supposed to do that. I'm your wife, you touch your wife'," Mrs Moreno was quoted by the New York Times as saying.

She said his answer was: "What did I do?"

LoL

Window_washer.gif

redshift

Über Member
marinyork said:
Remarkable.

On tv earlier they seemed to be saying that he followed advice to lay sideways on the platform and that this took some of the impact and he didn't bang his head. Reminds me of the story of the lady in world war two who fell out of a bomber.

You mean Flight Sgt Alkemade, who was a rear gunner in a Lancaster, who opted to jump, rather than die in the aircraft? Not a woman, IIRC. :biggrin:

spesh

redshift said:
You mean Flight Sgt Alkemade, who was a rear gunner in a Lancaster, who opted to jump, rather than die in the aircraft? Not a woman, IIRC. :biggrin:

Five points to Shifty

Marinyork may very well have been thinking about Vesna Vulović, who holds the record for surviving the highest fall without a parachute: 10,160 meters (33,316 feet).

For the record, Nick Alkemade fell 18,045 feet (5500 meters)

Other incidents include Alan Eugene Magee, an American airman during World War II who survived a 22,000 foot (6,700 meter) fall from his damaged B-17 Flying Fortress over Saint-Nazaire, France (crashing through the glass roof of the railway station), and I.M. Chisov, a Soviet Airforce Lieutenant who is notable for surviving a fall of nearly 22,000 feet in January 1942.

redshift

Über Member
Crumbs! I didn't know about her.

Funnily enough Alkemade's story was mentioned in the RI Christmas Lectures last week, which is why it sprang to mind.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Funny how the mind warps two events into one that was only a few years out. I did mean Vesna Vulović. A nasty business but an amazing story.

Top Bottom