1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF!!!

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by buggi, 5 Jan 2008.

1. buggi

buggi Bird Saviour

2. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Remarkable.

On tv earlier they seemed to be saying that he followed advice to lay sideways on the platform and that this took some of the impact and he didn't bang his head. Reminds me of the story of the lady in world war two who fell out of a bomber.

3. OP
    OP
    buggi

buggi Bird Saviour

well, i suppose he had 47 storeys to think about it! so the advice is, fall sideways?

4. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

No, lie on your tummy.

5. Brock

Brock Senior Member

LoL

6. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

I bet he'll wish he had snuffed it when he gets the hospital's bill.....

7. Lord of the Teapot

Lord of the Teapot New Member

8. Jaded

Jaded New Member

He'll have lots of storeys to tell.

9. redshift

redshift Senior Member

You mean Flight Sgt Alkemade, who was a rear gunner in a Lancaster, who opted to jump, rather than die in the aircraft? Not a woman, IIRC. :biggrin:

10. spesh

spesh Well-Known Member

Five points to Shifty

Marinyork may very well have been thinking about Vesna Vulović, who holds the record for surviving the highest fall without a parachute: 10,160 meters (33,316 feet).

For the record, Nick Alkemade fell 18,045 feet (5500 meters)

Other incidents include Alan Eugene Magee, an American airman during World War II who survived a 22,000 foot (6,700 meter) fall from his damaged B-17 Flying Fortress over Saint-Nazaire, France (crashing through the glass roof of the railway station), and I.M. Chisov, a Soviet Airforce Lieutenant who is notable for surviving a fall of nearly 22,000 feet in January 1942.

11. redshift

redshift Senior Member

Crumbs! I didn't know about her.

Funnily enough Alkemade's story was mentioned in the RI Christmas Lectures last week, which is why it sprang to mind.

12. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Funny how the mind warps two events into one that was only a few years out. I did mean Vesna Vulović. A nasty business but an amazing story.