WVM #3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
On balance I think the idea of the camera throws people and put them on the defensive, rather than makes them do an impromptu mugging. This is only the second time I've confronted someone face to face, and the first time with a cam. I don't make a habit of it, honest!

My attitude to the camera is that's it's extra insurance. Once it's really needed for something, you're in trouble anyway. I've posted the odd "look at this tw@t" vid in the past, but these days I stick to direct threats to my well-being.

I'd have still had the argument with tossface, camera or no camera. There was no benefit there anyway, as I didn't have the mic connected.

Bollo said:
Surely the latest round of fare increases on SWT would provide a soon-to-be-retired train driver with sufficient funds to banish worry. I hope you're not telling me that the increases won't be passed on proportionately to the employees' pay packets? ;) times lots.

You jest and yes it's good money but I do actually prefer the British Rail days.

It's a totally different railway now to what it used to be like.Easier to get the boot now.

Coming up to 27 years on the railway now.I didn't join for great wages at the time and I didn't get great wages either.I was a cleaner at Ilford Carriage Sidings for two and a half years and I never thought I would make a train driver because in those days train drivers were respected for being skilled in their job and believe me they are.I had great admiration for train drivers in those years and I still have admiration for the older drivers who have been doing their job 40+ years.Privatisation changed how much we were paid due to the fact that there was a shortage of train drivers at the time and at the same time drivers were being poached by other companies if you know what I mean.

How did I get so badly off topic?

P.S we never had 10 and 11 hour days under British Rail unless we wanted to work them.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Only teasing hackers, although my family has more interest than most in the state the the railways (monthly petrol bill - £50, monthly train fares - £450+). I wish my little joke wasn't that - staff and passengers deserve better than we've been left with......heads to P&L......

Passengers do I agree and I try and be as friendly and helpful as I can now and try not to treat them like idiots (I know sometimes some staff may do) even though they ask the most obvious of questions.You are right im honoured to be able to drive trains for a living (and trusted to drive them) as I say it's a privilege that can be taken away at any time.Tighter regulations now compared to the BR days.I think I understand why our railways run differently and probably not as well as other railways in the world,as I have seen a few different railways and traveled on them.

Im not always at my best when I am knackered and I was very tired yesterday.Longish job.

Oh well commute in and back after 1am tommorow it's going to be fun.

^^^^^^^^
Back to the bike forum.:smile:

Top Bottom