WVM #3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Not turning into my week with the commercial logistics operatives :angry:

Had a close pass from a UK Mail van. Not up there with my near offing earlier in the week (footage removed due to decent company MD) but much closer than it needed to be - a real 'f*** off out of my way' pass.

Matey pulls into station and gets out just where I'm dismounting. I stroll across and say "Couldn't give me a bit more room next time mate?" Nothing too heavy. He comes back "You were too far out" and gives me a fick-you look.

I sees red and start with some verbal along the lines of "what do you know? Do you know how much room you're supposed to give me?". He then says "Pay some tax". You can imagine how many of my buttons that pressed. To cut it short, we have a full-on verbal that came close to fisticuffs.

I behaved like a tw@t. What I should've done was either left it alone full stop or walked away after the first comment. But there you go, its done now.

I don't know about anyone else on here, but the cycling seems to have got a good deal more ugly on the roads in the past few months and I think its started to get to my attitude.

Time for me and cycling to get some marriage-guidance :tongue: (or failing that, I could have an affair with a skateboard ;))

Maz

Guru
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, aint it? Not always easy, though, in the heat of the moment to keep schtum.

By all means see a carriage guidance counsellor...

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Maz said:
By all means see a carriage guidance counsellor...

Nice xx(.

Perhaps he or she will suggest spicing up our relationship with something a bit kinky....

MoonSaddle-4.jpg

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
"Pay some tax" as if its his choice, or indeed yours.

Funny thing is about tax, local cyclists wrote some letters to the local paper about a taxi driver or two who had made the very same comment. Then I see GMTV the other morning has a thing on unpaid income tax, and you've guessed it, taxi drivers and white van men are the worst for fiddling the figures.

So indeed next time someone in a van like that says it they probably wont be paying the income tax they are obliged to ;)

Did you get it on camera!:wacko:

Seriously though, don't beat yourself up. He was a twat, you overreacted, but in the end, nothing came of it. You both saw sense. I'd just put it down to experience and take your zen bubble along to the LBS (local bubble shop) and if needed get it replaced. The question is shimbubble or Bubbleagnolo?;)

A very wise train driver who is retiring in a few weeks said in our job you just have to let it all go above your head and although I am not very good at this sort of thing (Im working on it though) I actually agree that is an excellent piece of advice.I think that applies to a lot of things.

I don't blame yo for having a go but I would try not to worry about it if possible for me.

I behaved like a tw@t. What I should've done was either left it alone full stop or walked away after the first comment. But there you go, its done now.

So did he and the argument about not paying "road tax" is a crap argument anyway.

I think in the right conditions a lot of us would have done the same especially when they drive with total disregard for anyone else and put other road users in danger.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
magnatom said:
Did you get it on camera!:smile:
You insatiable, tabloid muck-raker! The initial pass - yes. Its shows a close pass but its not premiership standard. The worst of it happened behind me as he was driving up my jacksy for about 20 yards and then buzzed me while pulling out. By the time he was in the camera FOV, he was far enough out to make it 'debatable'.

I'm not micced up at the mo' (too many wires) so the confontation element just showed wobbly views of B'stoke station with no sound.

I was so hacked off with the week's riding I just got home and cleared the SD card. I couldn't be @rsed to start complaining again - except on here of course.;)

magnatom said:
Seriously though, don't beat yourself up. He was a twat, you overreacted, but in the end, nothing came of it.
You both saw sense.
I doubt he saw sense. It was his attitude more than the incident that pissed me off. He genuinely couldn't have given a toss if he'd killed me. But I certainly didn't help matters along. Like hackers says, there are times when you just need to pull the shutters down.

magnatom said:
I'd just put it down to experience and take your zen bubble along to the LBS (local bubble shop) and if needed get it replaced. The question is shimbubble or Bubbleagnolo?:wacko:
I might just indulge in a bit of 'retail' right now. Doctor's orders.:biggrin:

I doubt he saw sense. It was his attitude more than the incident that pissed me off. He genuinely couldn't have given a toss if he'd killed me. But I certainly didn't help matters along. Like hackers says, there are times when you just need to pull the shutters down.

No doubt it would have worried me,that's why im almost bald already.Too much worrying.;)

Yes im trying the over my head thingy.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
hackbike 666 said:
No doubt it would have worried me,that's why im almost bald already.Too much worrying.:wacko:

Yes im trying the over my head thingy.

Surely the latest round of fare increases on SWT would provide a soon-to-be-retired train driver with sufficient funds to banish worry. I hope you're not telling me that the increases won't be passed on proportionately to the employees' pay packets? ;) times lots.

Archie

Errrr.....
Bollo said:
I sees red and start with some verbal along the lines of "what do you know? Do you know how much room you're supposed to give me?". He then says "Pay some tax". You can imagine how many of my buttons that pressed.
Answer: I pay tons more tax than you do, so next time I'm on the road get out my ******* way. Completely illogical and unprovable, but your arguing on the same level. ;)

Or, after his opening gambit, point to the camera and say "I wonder if your manager will see it the same way?" Doesn't matter if you intend to send the footage in or not, he's then had the thought planted in his mind he has to justify his driving. Mmmm, interesting! :wacko:

It's not all bad at the moment, drivers have been fine for a while with me. Peaks and troughs, we all go through them. Get a break over Christmas, recharge the batteries, you may even figure out what's been happening that lets these numptys press your buttons. If you stay off the bike for a while you'll miss her. :insert nodding smiley here:

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Archie said:
Answer: I pay tons more tax than you do, so next time I'm on the road get out my ******* way. Completely illogical and unprovable, but your arguing on the same level. ;)

Or, after his opening gambit, point to the camera and say "I wonder if your manager will see it the same way?" Doesn't matter if you intend to send the footage in or not, he's then had the thought planted in his mind he has to justify his driving. Mmmm, interesting! :wacko:

It's not all bad at the moment, drivers have been fine for a while with me. Peaks and troughs, we all go through them. Get a break over Christmas, recharge the batteries, you may even figure out what's been happening that lets these numptys press your buttons. If you stay off the bike for a while you'll miss her. :insert nodding smiley here:

Don't worry, I'm well versed in the arguments and managed to get them out between calling him a twatty cunner. He didn't care. On bike = not human. I don't think he liked the idea of the camera, but the footage didn't prove much in any case.

You're right about the peaks and troughs though. My commute is usually pretty benign but this week has been an evil death race. Festive season my arse, Santa needs to bring some prozac to all the mean boys and girls.

Unfortunately, staying of the bike(s) is not an option because I love them so.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Archie said:

Or, after his opening gambit, point to the camera and say "I wonder if your manager will see it the same way?" Doesn't matter if you intend to send the footage in or not, he's then had the thought planted in his mind he has to justify his driving. Mmmm, interesting! :bicycle:

IMO bringing attention to the camera may lead to more aggresion than you bargain for. I mean, what if they try and take a grab? If you have a wired camera you might be ok but snapping an atc off and then having to try and chase after it... Plus your evidence is now gone..

Personal theory obviously... although you could always lie if someone notices it and say a signal gets sent via satelite incase anything happens. :smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Not in mine either.

OTOH when filming cagers on the phone in queues, from the pavement, I've often thought it might be good to have a second person filming me filming them.

Top Bottom