Xbox One Offline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I could do with some advice! My son, Tom, is Downs and has SLD. He does not have the capacity to go online in any detail and obviously there are potential issues surrounding such activity.

Tom has a ten year old Xbox 360 which has died. Ten years is excellent so no complaints. He uses the machine to watch DVDs and play Fifa 18 from EA sports. No other games.

I understand much of Xbox One is reliant on a broadband connection but also it is possible to play offline.

So the question is this can Tom use an Xbox One offline for watching DVDs and Fifa 18?

I know it’s possible to buy a new 360 still but eventually he will have to make the change so it might as well be now. There also seems to be a question of which DVD region 360s are programmed for.

Thanks

sight-pin

Veteran
I have an Xbox One and yes you can play games offline, However I've no idea weather you can play Fifa 18 offline but i would think you can.
The difference between the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One is you have to download the the games first before you can play them with the Xbox One.

keithmac

Guru
If you don't buy Xbox Live Gold you can use the Xbox One without online gaming BUT it updates at least twice a week and every game you buy will need to update before playing.

So it will be fine to have it connected (wired or wifi) without any worries as long as you don't buy an Xbox Live Gold subscription.

The difference between the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One is you have to download the the games first before you can play them with the Xbox One.

This isn't the case with all games. Most are still capable of running and installing from disc still. There are only 1 or 2 that require additional content to be downloaded.

Similarly the console doesn't HAVE to do updates, and won't if offline so there's no trouble there either.

The only loss will be any bug fixes.

sight-pin

Veteran
This isn't the case with all games. Most are still capable of running and installing from disc still. There are only 1 or 2 that require additional content to be downloaded.

Similarly the console doesn't HAVE to do updates, and won't if offline so there's no trouble there either.

The only loss will be any bug fixes.

I've not had 1 game yet that i have not had to install from the disc or online which can take hours, where with the 360 their was no need to install the disc, they just play as you put the disc in in the machine.

I've not had 1 game yet that i have not had to install from the disc or online which can take hours, where with the 360 their was no need to install the disc, they just play as you put the disc in in the machine.

Still, there's no internet requirement to install from disc.

In the early days there was talk it would always require an online connection, but there was massive complaints and the requirement was dropped.

sight-pin

Veteran
Still, there's no internet requirement to install from disc.

In the early days there was talk it would always require an online connection, but there was massive complaints and the requirement was dropped.

Yes i understand you've no need to to connect to online in order to play from a disc, but you still have to install the game first, some of the games have taken 5 or more hours to install in the Xbox before you can play the game. I do understand it is because of the huge amount of graphics now that these game have.

midlife

Guru
The MS site give info on how to use the Xbox one offline.

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/networking/using-xbox-one-offline

We've got an Xbox one and when our internet is down you can simply play games from disc.

Console looks better and will play blu ray as well as dvd.

sight-pin

Veteran
I only bought ours for the gran children to use, they used to come home to us till my daughter got home from work........:whistle:

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This is a great help. Thanks to all. The web connection isn’t a problem as Tom has this at his house - he’s 29 and in Supported Living in the Community. I see him every week so could run updates from time to time.

I’ve found FIFA 18 is available as a disc.

A couple of follow questions - I have literally never used a games console other than connecting it to the TV!

@sight-pin if I’ve understood you correctly the game has to be loaded on to the hard drive. After this it would be a question of inserting the disc to run the game?

Secondly if there is a huge amount of graphics would this suggest a 5+ year old TV might not cope with this?

Tom will eventually work all this out for himself***, I just need to simplify it so he doesn’t end up poking around in Settings etc. Three weeks ago Tom set the language to either Chinese or Japanese - had a nightmare finding the language setting!!!!!

**** couple of months back he cracked the house code for buying Sky movies ^_^^_^

Lpoolck

Veteran
as @keithmac said, if you don't buy Tom an Xbox live subscription he won't be able to play online. The Xbox will need to be connected to the internet in order to download system/security/game updates.

Yes the game needs to be downloaded to the hard drive of the Xbox. So when you put FIFA into the Xbox it will start downloading the game onto the hard drive. It can take a while before its finished downloading and you can start playing the game. You can also buy digital copies of the games. These are often more expensive and the downloading process can take longer.

If the TV worked for the 360/has a HDMI port, then it will be fine for the Xbox 1.

sight-pin

Veteran
@sight-pin if I’ve understood you correctly the game has to be loaded on to the hard drive. After this it would be a question of inserting the disc to run the game?

Secondly if there is a huge amount of graphics would this suggest a 5+ year old TV might not cope with this?

Yes, once the games downloaded you will still need to insert the disc to be able to play the game.
No, the TV shouldn't make any difference, It's the Xbox that loads all the data, you'll just be using the TV as a monitor is the best way i can put it.

Edit: If he's only going to play Fifa 18, I'd just leave that disc in until he may wish to play another game.

Last edited:
fwiw, It be an idea to use the parental settings on the console.

Not to prevent him from doing what he wants, but to lock out stuff like settings etc to save any future potential issues.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Ah. I didn’t know parental settings included the console settings. Thought it was only for internet content etc.

This has been great guys. Thank you. I feel far more confident about this purchase than I did a few hours ago.

Top Bottom