Xbox One Offline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
You'd have to set yourself as the Master account and then give your son a restricted account.

If you haven't got a Microsoft account already they are free and easy to sing up for.

You would need to lock your account with a password but your son doesn't need to have a password.

You can assign controllers to accounts, my son turns the Xbox One on via his controller and it automatically signs him in.

Plenty of info on the net and Microsofts site for reference.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks for everyone’s patience with this know nowt. Couple of follow up questions:

1. Does Xbox One use wired controllers? We prefer wired as these seem to be constantly charged. Wireless batteries run out and no one knows the Xbox isn’t working as Tom can’t tell his carers?

2. Will Xbox 360 wired controllers work with Xbox One?

3. I have found a company Cex, a chain with real shops, with a store in our town. I can get a refurbished 360 for £40-50 with two year guarantee

Are Cex any good?

Doseone

Guru
Thanks for everyone’s patience with this know nowt. Couple of follow up questions:

1. Does Xbox One use wired controllers? We prefer wired as these seem to be constantly charged. Wireless batteries run out and no one knows the Xbox isn’t working as Tom can’t tell his carers?

2. Will Xbox 360 wired controllers work with Xbox One?

3. I have found a company Cex, a chain with real shops, with a store in our town. I can get a refurbished 360 for £40-50 with two year guarantee

Are Cex any good?

1. Yes
2. Don't think so
3. Sorry don't know

Xbox One uses wireless controllers.... but you can buy a rechargeable battery pack for the controllers, whereby you dock the controller in after you have finished to keep the batteries topped up.

No - Xbox 360 controllers wont work.

CEX - are really good, good for buying from, and selling your old stock too, i have used them for many years and had no problems.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Why not buy another 360? Obviously I'm missing lots and don't understand any of the technicalities, but there are still some hanging around going quite cheaply? Then Tom knows how to use it instantly and doesn't have to get used to different ways of doing things?

Doseone

Guru
Why not buy another 360? Obviously I'm missing lots and don't understand any of the technicalities, but there are still some hanging around going quite cheaply? Then Tom knows how to use it instantly and doesn't have to get used to different ways of doing things?

I'm no expert, but my son had a 360 and it won't support a lot of the newer games, so for example Tom wouldn't be able to play FIFA18 on a 360. Its a con really - the machines become obsolete if you want to play any of the latest games.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I'm no expert, but my son had a 360 and it won't support a lot of the newer games, so for example Tom wouldn't be able to play FIFA18 on a 360. Its a con really - the machines become obsolete if you want to play any of the latest games.
To be fair, the new machine is a lot more powerful and can support better graphics etc. Its probably more work than its worth to develop games for an old machine.

It had a decent run, its over 10 years old at this point

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member

You’re right there are several benefits as you’ve outlined. I can get a refurbished one for £45 with a two year guarantee.

At the moment we are 90% towards an Xbox One. The only game Tom wants is FIFA and sooner or later there won’t be a version available for 360. Eventually the change will have to be made so I’m inclined to do it now.

The learning aspect isn’t a huge issue. Tom is very bright and learns what he perceives as necessary!!!! His big problem is speech as he is also dyspraxic. He happily uses a mobile, tablet etc. but only to the extent of achieving what he wants - we do get a lot of fallout though, like changing language settings to Chinese

keithmac

Guru
I bought a controller charging kit from Game, £20.

Comes with 2 battery packs, as said above you just use the charging base as a stand and it charges the controllers up when not in use.

Top Bottom