Xero XR-1 Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
Avoid like the plague - cheap, cheerful, light, flexy. Not worth the money.

kyuss

Veteran
I agree with gavintc. Identical to the XCR-1 I had in all but spoke pattern and they are absolute garbage.

Look good, stay true and are seriously light weight for the money, but flap about alarmingly on everything but silky smooth roads and unless you weight the same as a 4 year old child you can forget climbing out of the saddle without serious brake rub.

The spokes will most likely pull through the rear rim in less than a year as well, as happened to both me, a mate and dozens of others going by some of the user reviews I've seen.

I think the reviewer at bikeradar maybe took them for a spin round the car park. If they'd been tested properly they'd have seen their shortcomings within a mile.

To be avoided I think.

dodgy

I've got XR-carbon rims on my new bike. I was able to test ride them before speccing them on the bike, too. They don't feel flexy to me and I'm over 14 stone and a fairly strong rider. I'd say they were easily worth £199!

Dave.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Dodgy, what kind of test ride did you have, was it a spin round the car park, or a good tanking up and down the road?

dodgy

Hi Stephen, just a sprint up the road really. But I've since had them out for much further and I'm completely 100% satisfied with them, actually, delighted would be the word. Maybe I'm used to mediocre wheels and am easily pleased (last wheels were Mavic Aksiums) but they feel like the front of the bike is clamped in a gert big vice (apart from being able to swing the bike from side to side obviously). They turn in really fast too, but that might be my new carbon frame at work. I certainly can't detect any flex in them.
For £200 or thereabouts, they're an absolute bargain.
Dave.

gavintc

Guru
I hope you kept the receipt. Keep a watch for the spokes pulling through the rim. I have seen 4 sets of the alu rear ones do that. I stand by my original comment - a waste of good money.

dodgy

XR-1, right. I did extensive research before buying my XR-Carbon wheels, spoke to guys at the club, looked for reviews on the web (overwhelmingly positive) and this is the only place I've read (very) bad things about them. Let's hope I don't witness the spoke problem that you speak of.

Dave.

dodgy

Update after approx 6 weeks of usage. I've done some fairly long rides on the XR-Carbons now, still perfectly true, no flex and nothing bad to report at all.

Dave.

dazzawazza

I've had some XR-1s on my Allez commuting bike for 3K+ miles and they are are still perfectly true. Great wheels (no tensioning or truing).
Unlike the model Bs that came with my SL PX (They are out of true after 60 miles).
I'm swapping them over after some adjustment with a spoke key. The lack of decals will increase the stealth.

dodgy

Likewise, my XR-Carbon are still holding up brilliantly, I've been delighted with them. They still look really smart, too.

Top Bottom