Xiongda XD two speed e-assist upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Folks

I have just finished the voyager long awaited upgrade

I have replaced the original DD motor and single battery with a Xiongda XD motor and two 36v 10 Ah LifePO4 batteries .

The current specification of the trike includes 180 mm front discs and a 160mm disc on the rear .

Since the upgrade the trike's range seems to be about 25-30 miles per battery, a vast improvement over the 15 miles on the original system.

The 2 speed XD Mkl kit has a manual High Auto Low switch that enables you to hold it in low gear giving a top speed of 10mph . It has a pedelec sensor as well as a throttle that helps to reduce the wasted effort with a throttle only system.
I have been advised that the dual sprag clutches ( that allows the freewheel feature and the 2 speed system ) can on the odd occasion snatch if the wheel is pushed backwards even off load .
Time will tell!

The dual batteries sit happily behind the seat on a "H" frame and have a "kettle "type connector to switch between batteries . I have fitted a 11-30 freewheel giving gears between 20 and 110 inches
The LCD display has sensible sized MPH and assist levels readout . The assist level set before powering off is resumed on the next switch on . It seems rather a nice piece of kit

Since the brake upgrade the front brakes are better , the rear brake is still bedding in but it does lock the rear wheel . The more powerful brakes should help when the trike is used for touring with a trailer.
xiside2.jpg
Xiongda3.png
xirear.jpg
xiside1.jpg

More info / photos of the upgrade will follow as the miles are put on the trike

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
After a few more miles I can honestly say that 25miles per battery is the minimum I have achieved and that was using the assist MUCH more than normal .
The only criticism of the unit so far is the time between up-changes and the hysteresis range between the gear change which if left in automatic can be disconcerting , Its easier to leave it in high speed and change down if a long steep hill is imminent .

So far I am quite impressed by the upgrade

regards emma

OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
The 20/20 e-trikes are in action with Sandmans middie drive folding trike in the mini zombie fest thread
or You tube "4 go east "

The voyager still needs a "film crew " available then I can post a clip of it in action , with 50 mile range on level 3 assist it is a force to be reckoned with .

regards emma

Top Bottom