Xmas, do you like it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Not my favourite time of the year. I enjoy the kids being home (this will be probably the first time in over 5 years when we've all been together) but it's always associated with increased stress and anxiety for me. The fact that I worked in a 24/7 NHS service for over 30 years might not have helped, there was always a shift to cover at sometime.

Anyone else struggle at this 'happy' time of year?

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I’m not a great lover of it, lots of reasons why, but I try my best to enjoy it. We are away this year over Christmas for the first time. So far, so good, feels much easier and less stressful.

OP
OP
iandg

iandg

Legendary Member
Another thing I just remembered is that my wife was a nurse at the time we were married and had our first kids. Xmas was often spent with one or the other at home looking after kids while the other was at work.

OP
OP
iandg

iandg

Legendary Member
I’m not a great lover of it, lots of reasons why, but I try my best to enjoy it. We are away this year over Christmas for the first time. So far, so good, feels much easier and less stressful.

Yes, one of the most enjoyable xmases I've had in a long time is when we rented a place in Masham and met away from home. Probably 8 years ago now

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Christmas is just the annual festival of The International Church of Capitalism. Any religious meaning it held has long since been subjugated to the worship of money. Another reason I hate it is that the motorists are even more idiotic than usual, my neighbours make too much noise later than usual (made even worse by Daylight Savings), so I get less sleep than in the months with shorter days. I get depressed way too easily, and Christmas makes it worse.

Ripple

Veteran
Loved it when I was a child but now it's just another day. Cannot be with my mother and sister's family so will be working.

Slick

Guru
I've maybe been a bit luckier than most as Christmas was always special in our house as a child, and when I met my wife to be and realised that it was just another day in her household, I spoiled her to such an extent she loves it now too. I've got loads of happy memories of Christmas and over the last few years it's been as much about making great memories for kids, with this year probably being the last where the kids in the house are still young enough to think I'm cool so I intend to milk that for all it's worth this year. :okay:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Ive never been a fan of xmas, apart from when i was a kid.

Xmas spelled no work, no money, self employed
Excess eating and spending and a fooking big tax bill in January :sad:

Also I'm not someone who likes receiving gifts, it seems to embarrass me... Guilty.. Weird i know but it does, and why i prefer to give than accept..

The commercial side makes me sad, its all got a bit me me me.. And little thought for the tue spirit of xmas, fook sake i even struggle spelling christmas :laugh:

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
No I don't enjoy it much. When I was a child my parents always fought worse during Christmas so I guess that has given me an uncomfortable association, which I've never shaken off.

It also seems that, as others write above, Christmas has just become an excuse for greed and gluttony.

screenman

Legendary Member
Ive never been a fan of xmas, apart from when i was a kid.

Xmas spelled no work, no money, self employed
Excess eating and spending and a fooking big tax bill in January :sad:

Also I'm not someone who likes receiving gifts, it seems to embarrass me... Guilty.. Weird i know but it does, and why i prefer to give than accept..

The commercial side makes me sad, its all got a bit me me me.. And little thought for the tue spirit of xmas, fook sake i even struggle spelling christmas :laugh:

I think a lot of the self employed I know feel the same.

Top Bottom