XML T6 lights on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
I am looking at adding to my lights with an XML T6 Cree on the front, now I understand these give good light but are they ok for use on the road?

ie can they be set up so they give good light without dazzling on coming traffic?

Anyone using these on the road I welcome your experiences :smile:

Cheers

Peteaud

Veteran
Ive got 2 of them (although to be fair you only really need 1)

For the price (see link) they are great.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pellor-Bicy...1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346268938&sr=8-3-fkmr0

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I have one but mostly used it on unlit country roads last winter where I saw next to no traffic. When I did though I never got flashed by anybody and the light it gives out is superb. I just aimed mine down quite a bit to limit dazzling any drivers, then when I got into built up areas I turned it onto it's lower power setting. Great value for money IMHO.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
I'll check the links. This is to augment my two FenixTorch L2Ds which I use on lockblocks. They give me 360 lumens combined which is pretty good but on the unlit country lanes close by are some major pot holes that I don't want to hit.

Peteaud

Veteran
New Job, new commute and this looks like what I need :thumbsup:

Same here a few weeks ago.

The price of magic shine etc is way ott imho.

I opted for 2 because i bought the 1st on ebay 2nd hand and then a "UK" one.

Then split the wires and soldered it all back so 1 battery and both lights.

1 light on dipped beam
1 light on high (only on a really dark unlight lane)

If you buy 2 uk versions and split the wires then you have a spare battery and a spare charger for work.

Depending on how long your commute is of course.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Same here a few weeks ago.

The price of magic shine etc is way ott imho.

I opted for 2 because i bought the 1st on ebay 2nd hand and then a "UK" one.

Then split the wires and soldered it all back so 1 battery and both lights.

1 light on dipped beam
1 light on high (only on a really dark unlight lane)

If you buy 2 uk versions and split the wires then you have a spare battery and a spare charger for work.

Depending on how long your commute is of course.

Worse case It would be hour and a half, but I'll get the train most nights.

Just want to be prepared for when British rail fails :sad:

Thanks for the tip Pete :smile:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Ive literally just got back from testing my new light setup thanks to Peteauds suggestion in another thread, blasting down the river at full speed in complete darkness on muddy gravel no problem :smile:

Ive got a Magicshine mj872 (Hope Vision 4 clone) as my main dipped kinda beam lighting up a big cone in front of me very brightly - I made a kinda visor for it to stop it shining too much light horizontally in front at drivers. Then I have one of the cheapy T6 lights set near horizontal as a long range spotlight, kinda works like full beam in a car only to be used when theres not someone in front. Together theyre ridiculously bright and you can be seen from a big distance because of all the road/hedges/trees youre lighting up :smile: I should add that im a complete lumen junkie and either of the lights would be plenty for unlit country roads on their own.

I don't really know about Torchy, but his lights arent particularly cheap compared to the ones Peteaud uses, theyre at least the same price as the magicshine theyre copying although the support and build quality may be better.

Peteaud

Veteran
Ive literally just got back from testing my new light setup thanks to Peteauds suggestion in another thread, blasting down the river at full speed in complete darkness on muddy gravel no problem :smile:

Ive got a Magicshine mj872 (Hope Vision 4 clone) as my main dipped kinda beam lighting up a big bright cone in front of me very brightly - I made a kinda visor for it to stop it shining too much light horizontally in front at drivers. Then I have one of the cheapy T6 lights set near horizontal as a long range spotlight, kinda works like full beam in a car only to be used when theres not someone in front. Together theyre ridiculously bright and you can be seen from a big distance because of all the road/hedges/trees youre lighting up :smile: I should add that im a complete lumen junkie and either of the lights would be plenty for unlit country roads on their own.

I don't really know about Torchy, but his lights arent particularly cheap compared to the ones Peteaud uses, theyre at least the same price as the magicshine theyre copying although the support and build quality may be better.

I am happy your still in one piece. :thumbsup:

Lard Armstrong

Veteran
I can vouch for Torchy, his knowledge and recommendations are spot on. The products he sells are excellent. I have some of his 18650 batteries, charger, etc.

Remember that if you are using CREE LEDs, especially T6s, it's all about th battery. I had some ok rechargeable batteries, but they weren't man enough for the T6, it would even illuminate.

Check Torchy's site fo details.

Incidentally, I have a T6 mounted on my helmet to complement m lumicyle front lights, great for illuminating ornr and bends.

Top Bottom