XT or XTR Front Mech?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cope

I need a new front mech for my touring bike. LBS said that because of my chainset sizing and gearing they'd recommend going for a decent MTB front mech, such as an XT M771. My shifters are dura ace bar end, so can run them on friction if I need to.

I notice XTR is an option, but it seems really expensive - almost twice the price. Also even more than a Dura Ace front mech (not that that would work with my setup). So what's the story here? Why so expensive, and what does the money buy you? I can't imagine the few grams saved will go very far, and on a touring bike it's all a bit moot anyway, given that it's a steel frame with panniers etc.

So - XT or XTR?

mercurykev

I wouldn't waste my money on fitting a XTR front mech. XT is excellent quality and will last for years.

jpembroke

as for XTR rear mechs: I note that they don't seem to have barrel adjusters and that adjustment has to be made at the shifter. What's that all about? In what way is that more advanced?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
jpembroke said:
as for XTR rear mechs: I note that they don't seem to have barrel adjusters and that adjustment has to be made at the shifter. What's that all about? In what way is that more advanced?

Saving weight? Why add the (micro)grams of a barrel adjuster at both ends of the system?

spence

Über Member
XT all the way, unless you really do have too much money.

....don't seem to have barrel adjusters..... What's that all about?
All Shadow mechs are like that now, right down the range. Been using them for a couple of years now without problems. Just use the adjuster on the shifter. SRAM have been like that for ages.

jpembroke

I think I'd rather have the adjuster at the mech where you can actually see the micro-movements of the derailleur. Call me old fashioned......

OP
OP
C

Cope

Thanks all - I shall purchase an XT mech today.

OP
OP
C

Cope

User482 said:
Get an SLX mech. Just as good as XT but cheaper.

Can open, worms everywhere....

What's SLX? If it's just as good, why's it cheaper? Is this equivalent to saying: "don't bother with ultegra, 105's just as good"?

yello

Cope said:
Can open, worms everywhere....

'tis innit? I deliberately avoided suggesting cheaper options for that very reason! I ended up putting a bottom of the range Alivio mech on my now hack bike that was XT!

Top Bottom