YAFP (Yet Another Fixie Project)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Update: Forks are 6.75" steering length with top 3cm (let's mix up the measurement systems!) being threaded. They are 1" diameter too.

With regard to the frame condition behind the forks - I thought I'd post a closer up photo for you good peeps to look at, then I can sue you lot if/when I crash. :biggrin:;)

IMG_0062.JPG

It looks okay to me, some slight surface rusting, but no obvious creasing/rippling.... do you agree (sign here ________________ ) :rolleyes:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I did a very similar project with a very similar frame a couple of years ago.

Peugeot frames can require very funny sized seat posts. Some sizes are almost impossible to get hold of. Before spending any money, it might be worth checking what size seat post you'll need (you'll need a dial caliper or something like that to measure precisely inside the seat tube) and whether you can get one.

My Peug frame came with a steel seatpost, and try as I might, I can't get a nicer one that'll fit.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
It's only gas piping, I know (mine's forks are actually rolled from sheet, with a seam down the back, rather like stockings...) but I quite like the shot-in, oval seat stays and lugless joints.

If you're planning to remove bosses, bear in mind that some of them are spot-welded on and thus quite hard to remove seamlessly.

I painted mine with car aerosols - cost about a tenner. Now I've used it quite a bit (winter go-to-work hack) and it's looking rusty and tatty, so it's gone to be powder coated after all. It'll cost about £30.

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Uncle Phil said:
If you're planning to remove bosses, bear in mind that some of them are spot-welded on and thus quite hard to remove seamlessly.
...am I right in presuming you're talking about the gear-lever-holder-things? :laugh: In which case I'm not going to remove them, but use them creatively in some artistic way to make the bike 'my own' (okay, I looked at them and though I'd probably ruin the frame if I tried to remove them... xx().

Uncle Phil said:
I painted mine with car aerosols - cost about a tenner. Now I've used it quite a bit (winter go-to-work hack) and it's looking rusty and tatty, so it's gone to be powder coated after all. It'll cost about £30.
Do you have anywhere in mind for this? I've been looking around but can't seem to get any costs anywhere near that (and may well just leave it or DIY it as the frame is pretty low cost/value according to everyone's comments so far)

Cheers for the info about the seatpost too, I'll take a closer look at that.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
...am I right in presuming you're talking about the gear-lever-holder-things?

I was talking mainly about those. I think they look really naff if you leave them on. But I may have overstated how hard it is to remove them.

Usually, they're brazed on, so you can heat 'em up and just pull them off. Then it's easy to file away any brass left behind. On my peugeot, they were spot-welded. I think I just ripped them off with a pair of vice grips, but then I had to file away the nubs remaining carefully.

Actually, if you don't have oxy-acetylene gear, it's probably easier to remove these spot-welded bosses than brazed ones.

Do you have anywhere in mind for [powder coating]? I've been looking around but can't seem to get any costs anywhere near that

Neil Hutchinson ("Hutchcoat") in the next village has done various bits for me. He does enamels as well, but powder coat is his stock in trade. It may run to more like £40 these days - I'll know when I get my frame back in a week or so!

He may be able to recieve and return frames by post, but as he's only up the road, I've never tried this.

For other recommended powder coaters, use this forum's search facility and stick "powder coat" or "powder coating". You'll find a few.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Tharg2007 said:
you may have to replace the bb as well as it will affect your chain line, if you go for rpm cranks i think you get a bb included, although the chainring you get with most low cost crank sets are egg shaped and made of butter.
GBH in town will do you a set of velocity deep Vs on on-one hubs for about 130, i have these rims on the red bike you saw the other day, they are bomb proof and they will be nice to move to your next project after this one.

Word brother!

Top Bottom