Yay!! Cycle Stand Success !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I asked my town council for a cycle stand near some shops. One of the councillors suggested that she had some budget that could fund it. This morning I've heard that not only are they installing the one I suggested but also at two other locations which are also near small shops. And the county council who'll do the installation think that it'll be by the end of March as part of a programme of installations throughout Northumberland.

I'm rather pleased with that result.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well done! I've been told sometimes that cycle parking is an easy win and a way for councils to "do something for cycling" without tackling the more difficult stuff, but lack of obvious decent parking can be a deal-breaker for some would-be cyclists and even more so if their bike gets nicked from insecure parking.

The amount KLWNBUG has had to battle to even keep what we've got — we lost about 30 spaces to art installations a few years ago, and it was not relocated, it was cut off near the ground and the artworks installed over it! :cursing: — means I have big respect for people who help get more put into useful locations. Again: well done!

sheddy

Legendary Member
Well done.

Do you know EXACTLY how they will be positioned ? My council allowed them to be placed so close to the carriageway that bikes were vulnerable of being stuck by motors. Within a week one hoop had been bent by a motorist.

T4tomo

Guru
Well done! I've been told sometimes that cycle parking is an easy win and a way for councils to "do something for cycling" without tackling the more difficult stuff, but lack of obvious decent parking can be a deal-breaker for some would-be cyclists and even more so if their bike gets nicked from insecure parking.

The amount KLWNBUG has had to battle to even keep what we've got — we lost about 30 spaces to art installations a few years ago, and it was not relocated, it was cut off near the ground and the artworks installed over it! :cursing: — means I have big respect for people who help get more put into useful locations. Again: well done!
can you lock your bike to the art installation in protest?

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Well done.

Do you know EXACTLY how they will be positioned ? My council allowed them to be placed so close to the carriageway that bikes were vulnerable of being stuck by motors. Within a week one hoop had been bent by a motorist.
All of the sites have large pavement areas in front of them so I'm fairly confident that won't happen.

The one that I originally requested is to go here:

So there's a nice large space for it & I won't have to use the road sign! I suspect the main problem may be that people queuing for the sandwich shop may use it to lean against :laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
can you lock your bike to the art installation in protest?
Nah, they saw that coming and it was all flat sides low down, no holes. Lighter bike users could probably have hung their bikes on them but it would need a long chain to go around.

The art is gone now, making space for covid one way walkways and queues. The sawn-off bike stands are visible in the flat ground. When the crisis is over, I may ask for bike parking in that space :evil:

sheddy

Legendary Member
^ Request it now, surely can’t hurt.

Top Bottom