Yay!!!! First ride on new bike... at last!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cambsno

So, after months of hunting I finally got my new bike yesterday - A Trek Domane2.

Annoyingly TNT messed up as should have been here Friday, and it got worse, unpacked and the front disc was slightly bent. But Sigma were brilliant, quick chat around 3pm and they got not 1 but two discs out which arrived the next day and had offered to cover the cost of LBS putting them on! Great service!

Replaced the disc today and went out for a 6 mile test - quicker than my hybrid, but hands did ache a bit despite not gripping too tight. First time in clipless too and that worked fine. Like using them although getting used to not being able to move feet around, Don't feel as comfortable standing up as I did on hybrid but sure that will come.

Need to tweak the front derailleur - when on the smallest front ring and smallest rear there is a sound from the chain, it actually seems like its knocking the big ring but have 15 mins free with a mobile bike guy at work that they have paid to be there, so will possibly take that in. Still not sure I have the bars in the best place for me but will tweak after next ride

Just need to plan a decent ride for the weekend - did 50 miles the other week but feel a much lower one is better while I acclimatise. Need to stop spending now on all the accessories!!

si_c

Guru
Gotta love new bike day:okay:

So, after months of hunting I finally got my new bike yesterday - A Trek Domane2.

Annoyingly TNT messed up as should have been here Friday, and it got worse, unpacked and the front disc was slightly bent. But Sigma were brilliant, quick chat around 3pm and they got not 1 but two discs out which arrived the next day and had offered to cover the cost of LBS putting them on! Great service!

Replaced the disc today and went out for a 6 mile test - quicker than my hybrid, but hands did ache a bit despite not gripping too tight. First time in clipless too and that worked fine. Like using them although getting used to not being able to move feet around, Don't feel as comfortable standing up as I did on hybrid but sure that will come.

Need to tweak the front derailleur - when on the smallest front ring and smallest rear there is a sound from the chain, it actually seems like its knocking the big ring but have 15 mins free with a mobile bike guy at work that they have paid to be there, so will possibly take that in. Still not sure I have the bars in the best place for me but will tweak after next ride

Just need to plan a decent ride for the weekend - did 50 miles the other week but feel a much lower one is better while I acclimatise. Need to stop spending now on all the accessories!!
:okay: Also, have a trek Al2 domane- glad you joined the club! It's fast but also comfortable enough for endurance. What accessories did you get? The hand aches will go away once you get used to the bike- I got them too at the start. Remember to change hand positions ever now and then, so your hands do not get stiff.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Double chainset? If so I wouldn't worry about running small:small but definitely try to avoid big:big. In fact when on the big chainring I avoid the biggest 2 or 3 sprockets at the rear. Your bike may have a trim function on the front shifter which will move the Fr mech slightly with a partial push of the shifter. This allows you to adjust out the rub you are experiencing when running at the extremes of the cassette, a small push when on the smaller sprockets and a click to release it again when on the big sprockets. Works very well when set up correctly.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
But Sigma were brilliant

Were they?

Sending a bike out with a bent disc rotor is a poor effort from any shop, let alone a self-styled premium retailer.

Many new bikes turn up at the shop with bent discs, which they ought to know and check accordingly.

It's nearly always the front disc because most makers ship the front wheel 'loose' in the box.

Fitting a new rotor is the best solution, but they can usually be bent back into shape with a well judged shove with the palm of your hand.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Might have been bent by TNT.
An adjustable spanner is handy for straightening bent discs without getting natural oils from hands all over them.

OP
OP
C

cambsno

Smallest front, smallest rear & largest front, largest rear are the gears to avoid. My chain rubs against the front derailleur when I’m cross gearing like this, I’m sure many on the forum will experience similar.

Interesting - I did read this happens on Shimano gears.

OP
OP
C

cambsno

:okay: Also, have a trek Al2 domane- glad you joined the club! It's fast but also comfortable enough for endurance. What accessories did you get? The hand aches will go away once you get used to the bike- I got them too at the start. Remember to change hand positions ever now and then, so your hands do not get stiff.

Pretty much enough to start up a bike shop!!!

Lots of basic stuff I didn't have like cleaning materials, lube, tools (torque wrench etc), plus a stand for cleaning/maintenance, both;es and cages, ... then stuff to take on rides like tool bottle, ziplocks, multitool, co2, pump... then finally stuff to wear - new helmet, shorts, bib, jacket, top, gloves, shoes and pedals... think thats it!!! Yes

Oh, and a Wahoo Roam!

OP
OP
C

cambsno

Were they?

Sending a bike out with a bent disc rotor is a poor effort from any shop, let alone a self-styled premium retailer.

Many new bikes turn up at the shop with bent discs, which they ought to know and check accordingly.

It's nearly always the front disc because most makers ship the front wheel 'loose' in the box.

Fitting a new rotor is the best solution, but they can usually be bent back into shape with a well judged shove with the palm of your hand.

There were marks on the box where the wheel was, and some damage to that part of the box, guess something had leant on it. I would bet it was transit damage and the way it was dealt with was excellent

Pretty much enough to start up a bike shop!!!

Lots of basic stuff I didn't have like cleaning materials, lube, tools (torque wrench etc), plus a stand for cleaning/maintenance, both;es and cages, ... then stuff to take on rides like tool bottle, ziplocks, multitool, co2, pump... then finally stuff to wear - new helmet, shorts, bib, jacket, top, gloves, shoes and pedals... think thats it!!! Yes

Oh, and a Wahoo Roam!
Wowwwwww a wahoo- how is it? I've been thinking of getting it myself- but it's quite expensive. I have accumulated quite a bit of bike stuff myself- haha sometimes think to myself I should have picked a cheaper hobby- even though I take it more seriously than a hobby. What brand of cycle clothes did you go for? So you have clipless pedals?

OP
OP
C

cambsno

Wowwwwww a wahoo- how is it? I've been thinking of getting it myself- but it's quite expensive. I have accumulated quite a bit of bike stuff myself- haha sometimes think to myself I should have picked a cheaper hobby- even though I take it more seriously than a hobby. What brand of cycle clothes did you go for? So you have clipless pedals?

Arriving tomorrow! It is more than I wanted but did not want my phone on the bars and keep stopping was a pain. Plus think the speed/cadence etc... will help with pace. Tempted by Bolt but the Roam looks to be better for maps.

Went for Shimano M540 I think, and a mix of Endura and dhb with a Giro top on sale.

Top Bottom