Yeah I know it's not worth it but

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you have flat handlebars, 7 cogs at rear , 3 at front, and have v brakes then yes , could you post a link or photo of your bike for a more specific answer.

OP
OP
mybike

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
If you have flat handlebars, 7 cogs at rear , 3 at front, and have v brakes then yes , could you post a link or photo of your bike for a more specific answer.

OK, so it sounds as if I'm learning, thanks mostly to the folk here. Here's the bike, I'll have to take some more specific ones tho' if you need what I think you need.

OP
OP
mybike

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Yes. What shifters do you currently have? I keep "upgrading" my bikes to friction :laugh:

It is a twist grip. I know the kit is worth more than the bike but a) I like fiddling. b) I hate the twist grips. c) Can't really afford to buy anything at the moment. I have thought of "'upgrading' to friction".

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will work.

I still don't get why road bike STI is massively more expensive than MTB STI for the same level of kit - or much better in MTB world.

migrantwing

Veteran
Wouldn't bother spending any dosh on a tesco BSO I'm afraid - put pennies towards something decent...

Agreed...but as the OP said, money is tight. Better to spend £25 on a beater bike and make it better/more rewarding for you than breaking the bank.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Also if you buy half decent replacement parts, you will get some enjoyment from them and could reuse them or resell them after you restore the bike to original state before selling it.

sidevalve

Über Member
+ 1 for the rebuild/refurb idea. Too many people run away with the idea that to enjoy cycling [and this applies to too many other sports to list too] you need a whole bunch of cash. Further you will learn how to repair and maintain the bike which is pretty handy all round whatever the bike's value. Get out - ride it - enjoy it. If anybody sneers at it, it is they who have a problem not you. As for bits keep an eye on good old E Bay.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My current favourite bike was probably a catalogue or chain store bike when it was new 25 years ago. In the year that I've had it, I've stripped down and rebuilt everything but the rear hub and the headset, so it's almost a Trigger's Broom now. The original parts often weren't great but replacements were cheap and I've not found a gotcha yet!

Top Bottom