Yearly updates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rliu

Veteran
Hello I'm a relative newcomer to cycling so I was wondering how significant yearly manufacturer updates of models are. I understand components are changed as well as the obvious tweaks to appearance but how effective are these changes in your opinions? Does the extra year of redesign push the performance of a line of bike forward noticeably?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Mostly differant paint job, recently bought a scott for my boy, last years model differant paint job, same components.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
What they said ^^^^^^^^^^

This years model could be poor. compared to last years what was better. Bikes in general haven't changed much in quality / performance in twenty years if you have a decent machine that is. Certainly not in the last ten years . Then its all down to cost / cross comparisons obviously.

People keep bangin on about carbon this carbon that like its the best. I think at the moment we are at the highest point of carbon poor quality bicycle components ever. The market is flooded with carbon stuff. Even cheap dangerous carbon copies from the East have flooded the U.K. market. Don't get me wrong plenty of top carbon bike stuff out there.

And if you are to purchase a new machine then I would say new bikes under £400 start becoming poor and you end up spending money to correct it. Also Id highly recommend a good local bike shop of whom people could recommend on a personal level

Blue

Legendary Member
Year on year what pushes performance forward the most, by a long, long way, is the development of the rider - not the bike.

Top Bottom