Yellow bellied bus driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

If I read one more report of cyclist / motorised vehicle conflict on these forums where the story starts or ends with "I didn't get his registration", I swear I'll scream!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I must admit it's not always as easy as it seems. I'm still annoyed with myself for not shouting out the registration of that eejit who bumped me on darwin's corners, and that my camera didn't catch it either.

Mind you, when we do get it, then you get Lee complaining that I'm a raving nutter for getting the reg and the bus driver's picture too. I rather think he missed the point that this is part of bringing consequences for bad and dangerous driving home to the drivers for everyone else the driver will encounter in the future.

Cab

Blackandblue said:
I don't accept that I was antagonistic when I approached the bus driver. I was calm and polite and genuinely interested to know why he felt it appropriate to pass so closely. His demeanour as I approached his cabin made it plain to me that his actions were deliberate.

Of course, but once you'd made your point you didn't have to persist; a better approach at that point is to dismount, get a camera out, and take pictures. I don't blame you for what happened, not for an instant, and talking to the guy after the first overtake was appropriate, but once it is clear that he's blanking you I think that you have to simply take that as an admission of guilt and make the point that you're going to report it.

I do accept though that the windscreen wiper was childish and inappropriate. I was however a little more anguished by this time seeing as how he'd inched his bus forward over my bike (traffic was stationary during the entire time we had our "exchange" (though you can't really call it an exchange as he didn't want to engage properly with me).

You have my sympathies, I've had similar situations and sometimes I've handled them well, other times I've handled them less well.

I will chalk this one up to experience. I wouldn't normally bother making an issue out of these things but I guess it being a bus on Blackfriars Bridge really got to me.

It also just really depresses me that fellow humans can be that ignorant, stupid and careless with other people's lives.

Yep, you live and learn.

Cab

sheddy said:
OT but I sometimes get hooted when passing another bike.
I guess I should signal. What do you do ?

Look over shoulder, signal if appropriate, move out and accelerate if necessary, look over to ensure moving in is safe and appropriate, move back to original road position.

The guy behind you doesn't have priority to overtake you, no more than you have priority to overtake; it isn't your fault if the vehicle behind has to wait while you overtake but, obviously, if he's already started his manoevre then you have to wait.

OP
OP
Blackandblue

Blackandblue

Thanks, Cab. All noted. I hope I can muster up the sense and reason that you demonstrate in your posts the next time I find myself in a similar situation.

However, as Bentmikey says, it's not always as easy as it seems.

On the plus side, I have almost put the episode behind me and am feeling much happier with the world.

I had a good result with a complaint following a similar incident:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18046

Cab

Blackandblue said:
Thanks, Cab. All noted. I hope I can muster up the sense and reason that you demonstrate in your posts the next time I find myself in a similar situation.

However, as Bentmikey says, it's not always as easy as it seems.

On the plus side, I have almost put the episode behind me and am feeling much happier with the world.

If you always manage to be as reasonable as that, then you're a better man than I am :ohmy: Its easier to say than to do, although I do think that talking over what we should have done can help.

Liddington

Über Member
Blackandblue, don't lose sleep over this bus driver, he's not worth it. But now you're about to become a father, be prepared to lose sleep indefinitely! ;)
And by the way, your son/daughter will be worth it. Congratulations:biggrin:

Top Bottom