Yellow bellied bus driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blackandblue

Travelling to work this morning I was passed very closely by a bus - so close that without having to stretch my arm I was able to wrap my knuckles down the side of the bus as he passed. This is my usual way of indicating displeasure with a motorist that passes too close.

However on this occasion I was particularly peeved - not least of all because he came to a stop in the traffic without the back of the bus having passed me (ie there was no need to pass so close, indeed there was arguably no need to pass at all). So on this occasion I pulled my bike round the front of the bus and stood by his window (which was open) and asked him why he passed so close. I think he was made of concrete as his head was rigidly facing forwards, his eyes locked on something way in the distance in front of him. I repeated my question several times. He then muttered something. I couldn't make out what he was saying. He muttered some more and I heard something about teaching me a lesson. I asked what sort of a lesson I needed teaching and why. He said something again about teaching me a lesson and then inched his bus forward on to my bike. I told him he was driving over my bike and to stop. He then shut his window.

I managed to summon up all of my wit and wisdom and in a crushing blow to his self esteem and machismo, I pulled one of his wiper blades forward off his windscreen.

I have got more and more wound up and upset about this incident as the morning wears on. Partly because I am due to be a father tomorrow and partly because this happened on, of all places, Blackfriars Bridge which is notorious for cycling fatalities, including deaths caused by bus drivers.

I have no idea what lesson I deserved to learn.

Why are some people so stupid? If he had a problem, wouldn't he feel better getting it off his chest instead of doing something that could have resulted in me going under the wheels of his bus? How would he have felt then?

I now wish I had taken the time to get his details so I could report the incident.

wafflycat

If you can remember the time/location & bus number - the bus company should be able to identify the driver without having the registration of the bus. This should be reported to the bus company at the very least.

domtyler

Über Member
In future I recomend that you cycle in such a position that vehicles cannot overtake like this, i.e. much further out in the lane. And also don't ever bother attempting to discuss anything rationally with car drivers, once the adrenalin gets going, as it inevitably will, any chance of meaningful discussion reduces to nil.

OP
OP
Blackandblue

Blackandblue

I don't know the bus number.

I am by no means a kerb hugger. I can only imagine that was the lesson he was trying to teach me; that I was too far out in the road. As it happens I was passing a bunch of cyclists at the time.

Origamist

Legendary Member
The old stoic routine. As you were getting nowhere with dialogue, I'd have asked his name, told him I was going to rep him, possibly taken a picture of him on my phone, make sure I had the reg no, route etc and then report him in writing to the bus company. If another cyclists/ped/driver saw the incident I'd have asked for there details too.

All that said, I usually can't be bothered to do any of the above, if it's a close overtake.

domtyler

Über Member
mickle said:
The emergency engine stop button exists for just this kind of event.

It is generally under a large flap at the back of the bus which is held down with a lever. You would have to undo the lever and then lift up a very large flap of metal and locate the emergency switch to operate it. If you can do this while balancing on your bike behind a large bus before it moves off and clobbers you you are a better man than I. ;)

upandover

Guru
Even reporting it doesn't always do much good.

I had a bus take nearly take me off this morning, coming so close that I nearly came off into a bunch of school mums on the way up from the school gate. I caught him at the top of the hill, said 'To close mate' and got a mouthful of abuse and plentiful finger gestures.

I phoned the bus Network, outlined what had happened to the woman on the phone (who turned out to be the owner of the company) who said 'What do you want me to do about it? Clearly couldn't care less, didn't offer a word other than to argue when I suggested she was taking it less than seriously.

Makes me wish there was a higher authority. Makes me wish I had damaged the bus in some way.

Steve

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Take a chill pill - go and get a cuppa, breath out, breath in.......

Happens........

I got hooted at coming up to a pinch point, 50 yards before a 400 yard long traffic jam.... I was already bang in the middle as I was passing a lady on her bike..... just looked round and threw a hand up, shaked my head and nipped down the traffic line to the ASL.

The lady soon joined my and we had a little chat about it - she couldn't understand the problem either. Anyway, the lady was in a long skirt, propper civvies, on a 'traditional' lady's bike. Very nice she was too... Thought I was a little crazy doubling up my mileage to work against the shortest route......

Never saw the motorist again...........

Cab

Blackandblue said:
However on this occasion I was particularly peeved - not least of all because he came to a stop in the traffic without the back of the bus having passed me (ie there was no need to pass so close, indeed there was arguably no need to pass at all).

Not arguably. Definitely. If there isn't enough room to get past a vehicle in front before hitting the vehicle in front of that then attempting to overtake is inexcusable.

So on this occasion I pulled my bike round the front of the bus and stood by his window (which was open) and asked him why he passed so close. I think he was made of concrete as his head was rigidly facing forwards, his eyes locked on something way in the distance in front of him. I repeated my question several times. He then muttered something. I couldn't make out what he was saying. He muttered some more and I heard something about teaching me a lesson. I asked what sort of a lesson I needed teaching and why. He said something again about teaching me a lesson and then inched his bus forward on to my bike. I told him he was driving over my bike and to stop. He then shut his window.

Right, while you've maybe (just maybe) been a little more antagonistic than you might have, he's now committed criminal damage to your vehicle, and he's probably also assaulted you...

I managed to summon up all of my wit and wisdom and in a crushing blow to his self esteem and machismo, I pulled one of his wiper blades forward off his windscreen.

...and with respect (because I know exactly how upsetting and frustrating these incidents are) you've just sank to his level. You know that you should not have done that, don't you?

(cut)

I now wish I had taken the time to get his details so I could report the incident.

You, my friend, for that commute, you need a helmet camera.

wafflycat

Yup - always check to see if it's safe to overtake. If it isn't - hang back and wait until it is. Also - signal to let other road users know what your intentions are.

OP
OP
Blackandblue

Blackandblue

For the avoidance of doubt, I can't believe the lesson I apparently needed to learn had anything to do with pulling out into the path of the bus when I was overtaking the group of cyclists. I always use the lifesaver look and on this occasion the bus (and the taxi in front of it) were sufficiently far back when I started my manoeuvre. The taxi didn't seem to have any trouble leaving plenty of room as he passed me.

I don't accept that I was antagonistic when I approached the bus driver. I was calm and polite and genuinely interested to know why he felt it appropriate to pass so closely. His demeanour as I approached his cabin made it plain to me that his actions were deliberate.

I do accept though that the windscreen wiper was childish and inappropriate. I was however a little more anguished by this time seeing as how he'd inched his bus forward over my bike (traffic was stationary during the entire time we had our "exchange" (though you can't really call it an exchange as he didn't want to engage properly with me).

I will chalk this one up to experience. I wouldn't normally bother making an issue out of these things but I guess it being a bus on Blackfriars Bridge really got to me.

It also just really depresses me that fellow humans can be that ignorant, stupid and careless with other people's lives.

Top Bottom