Yellow Box Junction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does the yellow box junction apply to cyclists or just mechanically propelled vehicles? I have looked a lot to find some info on this, but I can't find any solid evidence about it. Cheers

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't have any evidence beyond my own impression, which is that yes, they do apply to cyclists - IE, all vehicles.

As far as I know, all road signs apply to all vehicles as it were - it's just that some road signs tell you that as a non-motorised vehicle, a rule doesn't apply to you.

I'm not putting that well...

Anyway, it makes sense to obey a yellow box, or you leave yourself at risk of being trapped in the middle of a junction. However, as bikes have the ability to filter, they are more likely to be able to clear the yellow box anyway, so are more likely to be able to legitimately enter one, being able to exit it even if other traffic is queueing...

OP
OP
TheLondonCyclist
I read on the website with the "law" thing and it said a car cannot be fine if it is moving slowly. A photo does not prove he was stationary in the yellow box... it's very confusing, isn't it? :biggrin: cheers, Arch.

gavintc

Guru
I don't have any evidence beyond my own impression, which is that yes, they do apply to cyclists - IE, all vehicles.

As far as I know, all road signs apply to all vehicles as it were - it's just that some road signs tell you that as a non-motorised vehicle, a rule doesn't apply to you.

I'm not putting that well...

Anyway, it makes sense to obey a yellow box, or you leave yourself at risk of being trapped in the middle of a junction. However, as bikes have the ability to filter, they are more likely to be able to clear the yellow box anyway, so are more likely to be able to legitimately enter one, being able to exit it even if other traffic is queueing...

I agree with Arch. I cross one on my commute home. Typically, traffic is queuing (illegally) across it. I know I can weave through so don't bother stopping, just slow down to get through.

However, the principle of the yellow hatch is to keep traffic moving and if you do stop, and therefore prevent other traffic entering or leaving, in my opinion you are breaking the law.

Norm

I read on the website with the "law" thing and it said a car cannot be fine if it is moving slowly. A photo does not prove he was stationary in the yellow box... it's very confusing, isn't it? :biggrin: cheers, Arch.

However, the principle of the yellow hatch is to keep traffic moving and if you do stop, and therefore prevent other traffic entering or leaving, in my opinion you are breaking the law.
I think (well, I'm interpreting your posts to make me think) that you're both missing the point.

The "yellow box" is not to designate an area that you can't stop inside, it's to designate (in summary) an area which you cannot enter unless the exit is clear or blocked by crossing traffic. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you go, if the photo shows you don't have an exit route, you shouldn't be in the box.

Now, whether it could ever be argued that a bike (motor or human powered) can have it's exit completely 'blocked' is something which might be argued in court but speed is not relevant.

gavintc

Guru
Norm, No, I understand the concept of having an exit. Sadly a good number of the motorists at the junction I come across do not. On a bike, you can always have an exit, so you can enter. But, I stand be my comment that the principle is to avoid stationary traffic blocking a junction.

Arch

Married to Night Train
There's a yellow box we have to cross on the way back to base and on Friday there was traffic sitting in it, because a set of light further down the road to the right was red, and the traffic turning into the box just carried on. When our lights went green to cross it, we set off, and managed to fit between the last car in the queue and the one in front of it (the last vehicle had at least left a gap). Looking in my mirror, I saw that the cars behind us were following suit, meaning that the last car was left stranded in the middle of the road, when the queue in front of it moved off while traffic crossed in front of it. I laughed....:giggle:

Generally I think drivers pay as much attention to yellow boxes as they do amber lights, which no one seems to remember mean 'stop (unless to do so would cause an accident)'....

Top Bottom