yes, it's another "recommend me a tyre" thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazK

Veteran
I want to trade up from my current 700 x 28c tyres on my not-great-but-it'll-have-to-do bike (see here, not recommended if you are eating!) to 32s, for comfort reasons - the ally frame transmits every bump, and I'm breaking in a Brooks! My riding is mainly tarmac but some towpath as well.

The friendly guy in Johns Bikes Bath recommended a Bontrager, which I assume was the race lite hardcase. He said he put it on his winter bike and he wasn't any slower for it.

Obviously the tyre needs to roll like a well greased bowling ball, be 100% immune to p*******s but also weigh nothing. And be dirt cheap.

Seriously though, my priorities are rolls OK, no tread, doesn't weigh a ton and doesn't cost a fortune (think £20 per tyre). Any recommendations?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I'm rolling on Conti City Contacts at the moment.

But they're 42c so maybe not directly comparable.

However - I think they are available in 32c, seem reasonably P* resistant, roll nice enough at rec. pressure and when I bought mine could be had for slightly less then £15 per on the well known auction site. They've handled bridleways & towpaths & potholes no bother.

ACS

Legendary Member
Use Bonty hardcase lite 700x25 on 2 of my bikes and 700x28 on the Tricross. Don't have a great knowledge of different tyres but the Bonty's do the job. Using the 28's for distance riding on some pretty rough roads of late and no problem what so ever.

OP
OP
GazK

GazK

Veteran
thanks for the recommendations guys. I notice the contis are only 70 psi whereas the bontys are designed to run at 100. How comfortable on towpaths would the bontys be? I'm veering towards a lower PSI to cushion the blows.

Top Bottom