Yes let's overtake the cyclist and then

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee G

Flipside said:
turn left into a junction meters away, motorists why cant you just hold back for a couple of minutes. This happened to me today more times than i can count :ohmy:

Anyway moan over i feel better now ;)

Happens all too often - another favourite of mine is the bus who overtakes yards before he has to pull into a bus stop.

rarely a day goes by incident free.

Being cut up is seemingly part of being a cyclist. ;)

Had one tonight cut me up at a cross roads as the lights turned to red, he ended up stopped in 'MY' ASL, so I took great delight in moving in front, doing the push back motions with my hands and then taking far to long to clip in once the ambers had flicked to green. I think his clutch was hurting judging from the revving noises behind me... :ohmy:

Being cut up is seemingly part of being a cyclist. ;)

Had one tonight cut me up at a cross roads as the lights turned to red, he ended up stopped in 'MY' ASL, so I took great delight in moving in front, doing the push back motions with my hands and then taking far to long to clip in once the ambers had flicked to green. I think his clutch was hurting judging from the revving noises behind me... :ohmy:

Every single day to some degree does someone obstruct me by pulling in or out...to be honest I reckon it's part and parcel - shouldn't be though.

Either they overtake then pull in and brake, or pull out in front "plenty of time it's only a bike" and then fail to get up to a reasonable speed

I've actually enjoyed the bad weather because of cautious drivers being much more courteous than normal

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Sheffield_Tiger said:
I've actually enjoyed the bad weather because of cautious drivers being much more courteous than normal

i wish i could say the same, had a real numpty pull out off a roundabout on me today, unfortunatly my camera had run out of memory and had stopped recording by then.

Get used to it - this one isn't too bad - you seem to have good anticipation, although I'd perhaps ride a bit further out in the lane to give you somewhere to go to the left. A proper left hook is when they brush your handlebars, as has happened to me. I'd still like to kill that driver if I could find him.

mark i

I had a numpy last night. Roads had snow on so the only "clear" bits were where the cars had been. Parked cars ahead so a big triangle of snow before them. Shoulder check and signal and begin following the line of the snow out. Numpy in Focus decides to overtake, but also to pause alongside me to drop his window and tell me where he thinks I should be cycling (in the gutter by all accounts). If only he had been paying as much attention to his driving. He spotted the oncoming traffic after me, and pulled onto the bit of road where I was..... Thankfully I had seen it coming and had a bail out route. He stopped around a mile up to check his car (dont worry about the cyclist....) and we had a conversation about his annoyance at the impact to his car (no damage) and the relative rights and wrongs of cycling / cars. If only I had taken his No plate......

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
LostBoy said:
After watching that Ive decided I will get myself an upgrade to my 10 quid spy pen come bike cam.

Which flavor of ContourHD is that cam, cheers?
The 720p version. I hadn't got the settings quite right in that shot so the quality in low light can be better.

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

i am not looking forward to the day were i do get clipped with a car turning left. I do have one part of my commute were people overtake close rather than hanging back, fun and games as always.

The snow seems to even the score i have lost count of the amount of cars i have seen loose it due to speed and poor judgement

Flipside said:
i am not looking forward to the day were i do get clipped with a car turning left. I do have one part of my commute were people overtake close rather than hanging back, fun and games as always.

The snow seems to even the score i have lost count of the amount of cars i have seen loose it due to speed and poor judgement

Well that really does sound like you need a more assertive riding position, if possible.

OP
OP
Flipside

Flipside

assertive, the road is mine ;), only kidding. i ride as conditions dictate and i have no dramas taking up primary position , i also don't gutter hug

This road (which is an encouraged cycle route) on my daily commute really gets my goat.

There are the obligatory "overtake then turn left" side roads but whats worse is the way that the road isn't quite wide enough for 2 cars to pass if parked cars stick out a little far, or if one of the vehicles is a van or a bus

See http://bit.ly/6ZRwEE (here the motorist seems to be nice and patient)

What usually happens though, when I am in that cyclist's position, is that the blue Proton car would overtake and as soon as past, a car would appear ahead coming the other way. The Proton would slow to a stop and pull in to a foot away from the parked cars, forcing me to stop, where there would have been plenty of room for me to carry on ahead.

By the third time along that road it gets very tiresome.

It's worse coming the other way than the direction of the google maps cyclist, the road is slightly sloping so primary at 25 is quite easy and inconveniences nobody - coming the other way with a bit of a headwind, primary would be bullish and invite an idiot to force past

Top Bottom