Yesterday, I rode so far....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
And now that I know the satellite is there, I'll be down and have a look sometime.

[jotting notes] turn left at the Sun... past Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, stop at Saturn. If you come to Uranus you've gone too far...[/jotting notes]

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
PS I know where the sun is from the photo. Not sure about the station house though. Is it where the B road crosses under the path and there's a house and there was a little outside cafe on the grass and a maniacal dog that runs into the path of cyclists? Or is it nearer to York on the outskirts of Naburn in the monte carlo area of Naburn with all the boats?

Yes, that's the place. Would be great if it was a cafe again, but not sure what the new owners intend to do.

Love the idea of Naburn having a 'Monte Carlo' area...;)

It amuses me too, that after Pluto, in the great emptiness of space, lies... Selby!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
OK, Arch, you need to knit a satellite cosy for that Huygens-Cassini probe. Have you got any mates with ladders? Shin up, measure it, get something knitted and then nip up again and fit it. Job done. I bet it would stay there for ages before anyone noticed. It's not exactly getting a knitted Dalek into orbit around Mars, but one small step and all that...

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:
OK, Arch, you need to knit a satellite cosy for that Huygens-Cassini probe. Have you got any mates with ladders? Shin up, measure it, get something knitted and then nip up again and fit it. Job done. I bet it would stay there for ages before anyone noticed. It's not exactly getting a knitted Dalek into orbit around Mars, but one small step and all that...

Damn you for putting ideas in my head! Actually, not sure about a cosy, but how fab to stick a dalek to it?

Actually, as I took the pic, Mum rang, like I said, and I explained that I was taking a pic because I had a friend who is about to start working for a comapny that makes satellites and I was going to email him a pic, and she said "oh, so he knows what they look like when he draws the plans?":biggrin:

Uncle Phil, you can't miss it. It's way more ovious than Saturn itself on it's little plinth(not to scale, obviously). As I approached, I thought maybe the new people at the house had installed some huge new satellite TV dish...

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch said:
Damn you for putting ideas in my head! Actually, not sure about a cosy, but how fab to stick a dalek to it?

Oh, yes! I like your thinking. Again.;) Should be feasible to mount one so it's not too obvious, but you can see it if you know where to look.

Arch said:
Actually, as I took the pic, Mum rang, like I said, and I explained that I was taking a pic because I had a friend who is about to start working for a comapny that makes satellites and I was going to email him a pic, and she said "oh, so he knows what they look like when he draws the plans?":biggrin:

Designing interplanetary probes - now there's a job.:biggrin: Second only to working on warp cores and FTL drives.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
In the second picture i thought that satellite was orbiting just above some treetops!

No, no, those aren't twigs, those are inter-galaxial deep space branchlets...;)

postman

Legendary Member
We took Charles our newbie along the path last year.He did really well.And we found a good cafe in Selby town square for nourishment.There is a dog of some sorts along the path aswell .If i remember .

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
domtyler said:
You live on a trailer park? That explains a lot! ;)

Eh?

Oh, you mean the one static caravan in the background. Like I said, they were going to do that place up as a youth hostel type place, and the caravan would be one more room. And I don't live there, dummy, otherwise, it wouldn't have been very far to ride to it, would it?

Gromit

Über Member
Ah The Station House on the cycle path in Naburn, I remeber it so well, still owned by the same mad middle-aged lady. Its up for sale now for just £600,000, not worth a single penny. She still likes to keep her tennants on their toes, guess which room I have put you in now? Or when you get home from work, sorry given your room to someone else because they offered to pay me more! ;)

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Gromit said:
Ah The Station House on the cycle path in Naburn, I remeber it so well, still owned by the same mad middle-aged lady. Its up for sale now for just £600,000, not worth a single penny. She still likes to keep her tennants on their toes, guess which room I have put you in now? Or when you get home from work, sorry given your room to someone else because they offered to pay me more! :sad:

Ah, go on, I bet you'd pay a single penny for it really!:ohmy:

Oh, I thought it was sold already? Such a pity, could be a fab place in the right hands... Perhaps we need a cyclechat buyout, and have it as global HQ...:sad:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Arch said:
Eh?

Oh, you mean the one static caravan in the background. Like I said, they were going to do that place up as a youth hostel type place, and the caravan would be one more room. And I don't live there, dummy, otherwise, it wouldn't have been very far to ride to it, would it?

but probably further than i'd have ridden in jeans ;)

Top Bottom