Yesterday's commute!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

That's true. The trouble is that it also tells them that we should be in them at all times.

Yep. I've lost count of how many motorists have yelled at me, all angry because I'm not in the gutter where they wrongly believe I should be.

The more bad cycle lanes there are (and lets be honest, thats nearly all of them) the worse this gets.

The problem is that roads were never designed with cycle lanes in mind. Adding them as an afterthought very rarely works, although councils feel obliged due to cycling targets. Nice wide cycle lanes and nice wide roads would be great, but in practice I can't ever see it happening. That's why I would want to scrap them completely. It would resolve any confusion associated with them.

We already have great cycle lanes, they're called roads!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
magnatom said:
The problem is that roads were never designed with cycle lanes in mind. Adding them as an afterthought very rarely works, although councils feel obliged due to cycling targets. Nice wide cycle lanes and nice wide roads would be great, but in practice I can't ever see it happening. That's why I would want to scrap them completely. It would resolve any confusion associated with them.

We already have great cycle lanes, they're called roads!

Tis nicer in Sheffield now, down round the Wicker and up to West Street. They've razed everything and started from scratch. They opened a load more of it to traffic on Monday. I don't feel the need to stay in the many, bright red, cycle lanes. The traffic at rush hours still 0-20mph, so I can just filter along them, when its standing, right upto the next new ASL.

bonj2

what more bits are there now open? (apart from the bit from corporation street to the parkway going over those new bridges - been on that)

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Its all that area, the bit you mentioned is one of the bits I use to go to & through Attercliffe from Mowbray Street, missing out Nursery Street.

Difficult to say this street to that street as its all new, just finding my way round it and wondering what’ll have changed by next Monday?

Found coming into town was fun last Monday. Signs saying ‘Buses, Taxis and access only’ to go under the Wicker arches, thro’ traffic/ city centre diverted to the right. No one was going right. Reinforces the view that car drivers are herd animals?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Wow, that's opposite to London.

ChrisKH

Guru
Essex County Council are full of shite when it comes to cycling facilities. If I ever see them introduce anything remotely good, I'll probably have a coronary from the shock.

bonj2

gambatte said:
Its all that area, the bit you mentioned is one of the bits I use to go to & through Attercliffe from Mowbray Street, missing out Nursery Street.
yeah i know which bit you mean. When you get to the end of mowbray street, the bit where corporation street joins from your right is the bit where the new bridges are, you then go round to your left onto the completely new bit of road - whereas before you would have gone down nursery street, but you can't go down nursery street now can you? I wonder what they're going to do with what was nursery street, and whether it's eventually going to go the other way?
I've heard rumours corporation street's eventually going to be two-way all the way along it aswell which should be good.

gambatte said:
Found coming into town was fun last Monday. Signs saying ‘Buses, Taxis and access only’ to go under the Wicker arches, thro’ traffic/ city centre diverted to the right. No one was going right. Reinforces the view that car drivers are herd animals?

What, coming in down spital hill from burngreave road, or going up spital hill?
I know if you get to the end of burngreave road coming into town you have to go left down sutherland street towards attercliffe, you can't carry on down spital hill.

Top Bottom