Yesterday's Random Hostility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
So, I'd picked up my new Brompton, and was riding it back from the station.

On the way, I'd discovered that the left hand gear shifter incorporates a bell, so rather than my usual "Excuse me", I decided to do the considerate cyclist thing and ring the bell.

Riding up a shared path near the university halls of residence, students are, (as they usually do) walking towards town using the full width of the shared path (no problem, I'm the only cyclist around at that time). I ring my bell, they move over to the pedestrian side, and I smile and raise my hand in thanks.

At which point, one of them tells her friend loudly how much she "Hates f***ing cyclists."

Which was odd - I thought the whole encounter quite positive, myself, with all parties doing the right thing. Ho hum. Maybe she'll change her point of view once she starts driving a car, eh?

Bristol Dave

Perhaps it's a new student fad. Everyone was a Marxist when I went to college, now they're cycle-haters.

BD

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
This has happened to me many times when I've been going through Hyde Park with people walking in the cycle lanes. The last time was a group of middle-aged ladies and, as with your case, they were walking in the cycle lane. The pedestrian space was completely empty.

I wasn't going particularly fast as I was in a park and I binged politely when I got a bit closer. They turned, muttered, panicked and shuffled out of my path and when I went past one said, again to her friend and loudly, 'Cyclists are so dangerous, what on earth are they doing in a park?'

I stopped, turned round and with a cut-glass accent and achingly politely, said 'I'm terribly sorry, you must not have seen the signs, you're actually walking in the cycle lane, that's why cyclists keep going past.' I then gave a cheery wave and was off.

Politeness, the enemy of all nobbers.

Wheeledweenie said:
Politeness, the enemy of all nobbers.

I couldn't agree more with you, WW and I commend you on your civilised and pleasant disposition! ;)

Unfortunately, when encountered by rudeness, arrogance and ignorance (and probably quite a few other -nesses and -ances) the red mist has already fallen and a grumpy old git takes over and shouts out a discoursery '... get off the effing cycle path ...' ! ;) ;)

Dan B

Disengaged member
I am moderately certain that pedestrians have priority on all paths in Hyde Park and cyclists are expected to give way. That obviously doesn't mean that peds can't act with consideration as well.

There is a subset of cyclists (which I am sure does not include wheeledweenie, who I have met and who is lovely) who seem not to agree with my interpretation of the signs, and are unwilling even to slow down as they plunge headlong down the hill at the south end of Lovers Walk and head straight across the east end of Serp Road, ringing their bells in the belief that it is apparently a substitute for looking left and right.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I hate using my bell, i always think it gives off a 'out of the way' vibe. I always go for the ' can i just squeeze past' approach.

my wife got a random 'you self-gratification artist' from a wvm yesterday while she was in a clearly marked green cycling lane and he was going in the opposite direction on the other side of the road. go figure.

some people just do it for the sake of doing it.

I've had a similar one - while in the dark & rain (with my lights on, at any rate, but dimmer if any lights on the bike who was in front of me, and none from the oncoming cyclist); cycling on a cycle only path (the pedestrian one is about 2m away); having to dodge pedestrians (most wearing black, with umbrellas down low).

I usually give the pedestrians the benefit of the 'they don't know they're on the cycle path' doubt, perhaps they know and don't care, perhaps they don't know and would care. When almost coming to a standstill to negotiate a couple of pedestrians blocking the oncoming lane (so causing the cyclist oncoming to try pass them in our lane) as well as the cyclist in front of me, I hear a comment about cyclists (TBH I can't remember what it was, I don't think swearing was involved, but it was along the lines of 'cyclists think they can cycle anywhere'). This was one step too far for my normal detachment, and I came to a halt and said "this is actually a cycle lane". One of the pedestrians (who were sharing an umbrella) was hugely apologetic (she knew it was a cycle lane apparently).

Trevrev

Veteran
upsidedown said:
I hate using my bell, i always think it gives off a 'out of the way' vibe. I always go for the ' can i just squeeze past' approach.

Same here. I find bells quite patronising.
An "excuse me, can i squeeze through? " Works really well.
My bell went the moment the front wheel got outside the bike shop!!!

Norm

upsidedown said:
I find that most people can hear my wheezing from about 100m. ;)

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Trevrev said:
Same here. I find bells quite patronising.
An "excuse me, can i squeeze through? " Works really well.
My bell went the moment the front wheel got outside the bike shop!!!
That's one of the problems with them, I think.

Some people dislike you talking to them and will ask you why you don't have a bell.

Some people find them "arrogant".

The bell does have one advantage over my voice (I think) in that it can be heard from further away, and it should be clear that the sound is coming from a bike (one of the problems, IMO with "Excuse me" is that it could conceivably emanate from one of your fellow pedestrians).

What surprised me about what happened yesterday was that it all seemed fairly amicable - I'd slowed down in case the pedestrians didn't move, they heard the bell and were able to move over in an unhurried fashion.

I think sometimes I'm guilty of worrying about what other people think. Either a call or a bell is fine. If they react badly the fault is theirs not yours. A bell is fine by me, it says bicycle and it says you've been seen so no need to panic just move out the way.

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
schlafsack said:

I never knew that, thank goodness I wasn't rude or abusive ... unfortunately many cyclists using that path are. I too find it weird Coruskate when cyclists in the park barrel through like it's a road and ignore all peds. There's a road that rund parallel so if you need to go quickly you can use it. Very odd.

My bell has a very lady-like ping quality and I find shouting or asking politely doesn't work as well as a few bings. Perhaps it's because I'm of the female persuasion.

Top Bottom