Yesterday's Random Hostility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

I find the bell more useful for warning other cyclists than peds.

My off-road run is mostly along the Thames and there's a couple of relatively tight, blind turns and I always give a couple of rings approaching them. If there is someone coming the other way, even moderate riding will have a closing speed of 20-25mph and the water seems to have a magnetic attraction. :laugh:

I did have one walker get very angry with me a few months back for reasons I couldn't comprehend. I stopped and asked her what had upset her so, she said that she didn't appreciate me swearing at her. I now make sure that I can't be misunderstood when I wheeze "Thank you" to people. :biggrin: :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bloody cyclists......

Bloody student's more like - dozy lot !

thomas

the tank engine
upsidedown said:
I hate using my bell, i always think it gives off a 'out of the way' vibe.

yeah...to be sure I usually follow it up with a "GET OUT OF MY WAY!" ... just to make sure they understood :biggrin:.

Nah. I'm considerate and just use my Airzound say 'excuse me' loudly and clearly from a little bit back.

Origamist

Legendary Member
John the Monkey said:
That's one of the problems with them, I think.

Some people dislike you talking to them and will ask you why you don't have a bell.

Some people find them "arrogant".

The bell does have one advantage over my voice (I think) in that it can be heard from further away, and it should be clear that the sound is coming from a bike (one of the problems, IMO with "Excuse me" is that it could conceivably emanate from one of your fellow pedestrians).

I use a bell when I'm quite a way back from pedestrians and I use my voice when I'm closer. Slowing down is key when approaching/passing peds.

JamesAC

Origamist said:
I use a bell when I'm quite a way back from pedestrians and I use my voice when I'm closer. Slowing down is key when approaching/passing peds.

That's the way to do it, especially when the peds have absolute right-of-way (or priority). I cycle on the river Lea (or Lee) towpath quite often. As I approach a pedestrian, I slow down to a walking pace when I'm about 20 yards away, and give two tings - no more. If, by the time I'm 10 yards away, said peds are still spread out over the path, I give two more tings. If peds still don't shift, then I cycle along behind them at a quiet walking pace.

I don't ring my bell in an aggressive "get out of my way" sort of way, because they have absolute priority.

However, if I'm cycling along the road, and a ped looks left and right (and right at me, too) then steps out in front of me, I yell "Get out of the way, you XXXXXXXX XXXX! Are you trying to commit suicide, or what? You XXXX!!!!"

I'm quite nice, really.

Twanger

Über Member
XmisterIS said:
I tend to pelt towards pedestrians at top speed while wearing a WWII Nazi helmet and screaming at them in German.

That does the trick!

Shhhhh! If the do-gooders hear you they'll want to pass a law making it compulsory to wear one!

Twanger

Über Member
I use a bell in one place only. Crossing Oxford Street, a road where pedestrians consider lights to be merely a polite suggestion.

Arch

Married to Night Train
It's not just cyclists people are randomly rude to. We use a little electric truck to collect the recycling, and nearly every day we get some pedestrian (usually chavvy yoofs) yelling something 'witty' at us as we pass (very slowly). I think some people just can't help being idiots/rude.

On the bell/voice question, I do use the bell, but usually in a polite way, a dainty ping. If that doesn't work, I'll speak, but it normally works fine, without aggro.

Any last minute situations (if someone steps out in front of me) usually solicit a "Whoa!", which also works well.

ketka82uk

Got the shock of my life today...

Was riding along a quiet road and could see a ped walking diagonally along the pavement away from me. Guessed he was going to walk out onto the road without looking so shouted "Watch out, mate!". He obviously didn't hear me and stepped out into the road anyway (not so much a a glance - texting I think). I had virtually stopped by this stage but yelled out "Hey, hey, hey, watch out!".

OK, it wasn't the epitome of politeness but it I wasn't exactly aggressive about it. In any case I could never in a million years have expected what came next...

He turned round, saw me and said: "Oh, sorry! Thank you!"

Thank you? Thank you?! I can honestly say that is the first time a ped has thanked me for yelling at him! Brilliant! :smile:

Catty

I find bells useful when i'm cycling along canals when i get to bridges, as i can't see if there's anyone around the corners.

Top Bottom