Yet Another Hernia Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
Had my Doc's suspicions confirmed this morning at the local Radiology Dept. I definitely have a Hernia, an Indirect Inguinal Hernia to be precise.....Ouch :cry:

I'm trying to look on the bright side here, i understand the Op is fairly straightforward and i should be home after a couple of days to recuperate which should take 2-6 weeks......All good (if that's correct i'll just think of it as a long holiday) I can live with that.
I also understand i will get a temporary driving ban until recovered which is also good because that means time off work as i drive for a living.....i'm thinking ride every day whilst off (pain permitting)

Does anyone on here have experience of this particular type of hernia and if so, how long after the Op before you were back riding?

Bodhbh

Guru
It honestly can vary all over the place. I've had 2 hernia ops - the first, I had real trouble getting out of bed unassisted for a week. Simple things like opening doors and picking up cups of tea were very painful. There is no way I would have considered getting on a bike for a couple of months at least. The second, I walked a couple of miles the day after the op, and a week after I was fine with walking 3-4 miles with shopping. I didn't bother trying to cycle tho, it was winter and thought I'd pick it up again when the weather improved. I would be prepared to take it as it comes.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Had mine (same type) operated on yesterday. Told no driving for two weeks in case you have to do an emergency stop.
Dr also said no commuting on bike for 6 weeks. - Mine is 17 miles each way. But easy (very short) cycling not ruled out. I suspect the latter will be determined by difficulty/discomfort in getting my leg over the saddle and by my wife.(Intensity of opposition not leg over :-) ).
My initial feelings are not to go near my bikes for at least 48 hours.
I would also suggest that once you know your appointment date that you try to stay clear of people with coughs and colds. I know they can be difficult to avoid, but as often happens when the body is damaged in some way or other, you don't always realise how much you use the damaged part for certain functions.
Good luck.

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

Had mine (same type) operated on yesterday. Told no driving for two weeks in case you have to do an emergency stop.
Dr also said no commuting on bike for 6 weeks. - Mine is 17 miles each way. But easy (very short) cycling not ruled out. I suspect the latter will be determined by difficulty/discomfort in getting my leg over the saddle and by my wife.(Intensity of opposition not leg over :-) ).
My initial feelings are not to go near my bikes for at least 48 hours.
I would also suggest that once you know your appointment date that you try to stay clear of people with coughs and colds. I know they can be difficult to avoid, but as often happens when the body is damaged in some way or other, you don't always realise how much you use the damaged part for certain functions.
Good luck.

Thanks for that Bazzer, good info, and i'll remember about trying to avoid anyone with a cough or cold. How long did you have to wait for your op? I've been informed the waiting list is approx 15 -18 weeks over here.

Bazzer

Dave(??) I had a bit of good fortune as the consultant (NHS) decided for various reasons I will not go into on an open forum, that I should be considered as an urgent case. (Which surprised me, but I wasn't going to argue). 12 days after I saw him I had my operation.

Btw, forget a couple of days in hospital. The nurses have you walking an hour after you come back from theatre (procedure done under GA). They make sure you can pee, then you are out.

Last edited:

foot_loose

I have been living with a hernia for a couple of years now. The GP won't refer me for an op which I find annoying. Most of the time it does not cause me too much trouble but occasionally it is painful and it interferes with my life with fitness training etc.

OP
OP
davester65

davester65

I have been living with a hernia for a couple of years now. The GP won't refer me for an op which I find annoying. Most of the time it does not cause me too much trouble but occasionally it is painful and it interferes with my life with fitness training etc.
I don't get much pain from mine, just some discomfort when lifting or straining, my GP told me to stop cycling until after the scan results. Has your GP told you it's ok to cycle with your hernia?

screenman

Legendary Member
Shopping the day after, back at work 3 days later and a tt 21 days after. British Hernia Clinic, some of the best money I have ever spent.

Bazzer

Curiously my GP said he would not normally refer me at the stage mine was at, but would do so because I was a keen cyclist.

Bodhbh

Guru
I have been living with a hernia for a couple of years now. The GP won't refer me for an op which I find annoying.

When I had my first just under twenty years ago, the waiting list for the op was about 2 years. Annoying, as I was around 20 and having a bollock the size of a large grapefruit didn't really help my confidence with the ladies at a time when it sort of mattered. Second time round five years ago, it still took 2 years, just they throttled the queue by the GP delaying referal - at least that's the impression I got. Not that I'm suggesting when they've got limited resources there isn't more pressing stuff to treat.

Shopping the day after, back at work 3 days later and a tt 21 days after. British Hernia Clinic, some of the best money I have ever spent.

It's about 3 grand isn't it? I wish I shelled out at the time and got it over and done with. I've certainly spent money less wisely.

spiderman2

Über Member
Had my Doc's suspicions confirmed this morning at the local Radiology Dept. I definitely have a Hernia, an Indirect Inguinal Hernia to be precise.....Ouch :cry:

I'm trying to look on the bright side here, i understand the Op is fairly straightforward and i should be home after a couple of days to recuperate which should take 2-6 weeks......All good (if that's correct i'll just think of it as a long holiday) I can live with that.
I also understand i will get a temporary driving ban until recovered which is also good because that means time off work as i drive for a living.....i'm thinking ride every day whilst off (pain permitting)

Does anyone on here have experience of this particular type of hernia and if so, how long after the Op before you were back riding?

about 6 weeks for me,just take it easy at first.

screenman

Legendary Member
When I paid to have mine done it was a financial decision, working for myself with a large customer base I needed to get back to work ASAP. I checked as many NHS places as possible, none did the mesh method which is the fastest and strongest method for my lower inguinal hernia. The BHC charged £1,000 and did a vasectomy at the same time, extremely good value for money for me at least. I walked out of the clinic 90 minutes after the operation, the NHS wanted me in for 3 days at least, I can also recommend the coffee and cakes at the BHC.

It was 15 years before the NHS started using the mesh method in some area's, maybe some even still do it the old way.

Top Bottom