Yet another lock..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

This is a kickstarter by a couple of students from the local university.

Quite a neat idea - the chain locks into the frame and at the same time the internal mechanism locks the cranks. Even if you cut off the chain the cranks are still locked, so a thief could have quite a surprise if they tried to ride it away. You'd probably need to trash the frame to unlock the cranks, so the idea is there's little point to nicking the bike.

Personally, I don't really like the bike itself, but I assume it could be applied to other bikes in time.

https://blulocks.com/

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Love the 'how to steal a bike' tutorial video.

Drago

Legendary Member
The tagline is a bit misleading, as it isn't the first bike with an integrated lock. My old Raleigh Wayfarer of 40 years ago had one built into the head tube.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
On a fixed/singlespeed, like the bike on offer, it is simplicity itself to thread a d-lock through the chainring and around the crank and seat tube making it all but impossible to get a stubby in there to bust the lock.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I love the innovative thinking, but, 10 seconds is the maximum I would give that lock. The lock barrel looks like cheese, one twist with as screwdriver and it looks like it would open up. Failing that, stamp on the join of the chain to the frame and disconnect the quick link on the chain to push the bike away.

OP
OP
U

User169

I love the innovative thinking, but, 10 seconds is the maximum I would give that lock. The lock barrel looks like cheese, one twist with as screwdriver and it looks like it would open up. Failing that, stamp on the join of the chain to the frame and disconnect the quick link on the chain to push the bike away.

Will that release the mechanism in the frame which locks the cranks though?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
on my mobile so its a bit small to see, or I'm just a bit slow, does the internal unit interact with the BB to lock it up inside? if so does that make for another part that you'd have to order from them once it wears out?

the chunky chain looks ok but I'd like to see the link point to the bike as I imagine that isn't as robust as the pictured near motorbike chain, I'm always suspicious of things like this when key bits seem to be deliberately not shown.

TBH too, I'm not geographically suited to a fixie and I'm not loving the look of the bike - understand they have to start somewhere and aesthetics are a personal thing but such choices, esp the fixie option, do put a crimp on their marketplace

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What a load of blulocks... or at least, something which sounds remarkably similar...

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Will that release the mechanism in the frame which locks the cranks though?

No - but removing the chain means you can wheel it away and then sort out the cranks later.

Apart from the security aspect you still have a chain to carry around with you, so it is not exactly integrated. I guess I will just stick with my D-Lock until the holy grail is invented.

The tagline is a bit misleading, as it isn't the first bike with an integrated lock. My old Raleigh Wayfarer of 40 years ago had one built into the head tube.
Yeah, and puma did a folding bike where the frame was the lock

http://www.bikeoff.org/design_resource/DR_bikes_examples_puma.shtml

The problem with blulocks, is a thief will have probably cut the chain before they realise the bike can't be ridden. It has to be more obvious that the bike is disabled. Hence the puma design above.

Top Bottom