Yet another tyre question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keyop_75

Apologies if this has been asked before...but....

I have been riding a Specialized road bike with tyre size of 700 x 23 for the last 9 months. I am intending to buy a hybrid bike at some point in the next week or so for more day to day use and commuting. I like the look of the Cube Hyde hybrid bike. Now when I have checked the specifications the tyre size says 42 x 622.

This has left me a bit confused as to the actual width of the tyres and what surface they will be best on.

Any suggestions would be very helpful. :smile:

festival

Über Member
42 x 622 can be explained as following, 42 is the width and 622 is another way of saying 700.
There is an international standards organisation, (ISO) which your markings come from.
Have a look on the CTC's website for a simple explanation of the markings found on tyres
42 is wide, which suggests town and trail rather than fast commuting but it depends on the tread.

OP
OP
keyop_75

keyop_75

42 does seem wide for a hybrid. Its going to be used for mix of road and bridle paths/old railway routes so maybe there is a happy medium there. I have my road bike for long road rides.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
42 is pretty wide too - 38 or 35 is more common hybrids/ town-bikes, IME

Nothing wrong with 42, though - probably more comfy but maybe a bit slower too ...

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
You could always go down to a smaller tire. But some people like the wider tires for their floating ride. Others dislike them for rollong resistance. But often rims are made to take a variety of tires. I'm big, 6'5" and 20 stone, and have never ridden any wider than 32 tires on hybrids. But I've ridden mountain bikes on roads, and they do seem tolerable, even at greater than 2" widths.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I switched up to 622-42 (marathon plus tour) on my hybrid, to improve grip on trails in the woods that I occasionally like to ride, they don't seem any worse on the road than the 35s (I think) marathon plus I had before and both roll much much better than the 40s that came with the bike. It seems a lot more down to tread pattern than simply looking at width and the Schwalbe tyres on that Cube look a bit like a lighter version of marathon plus so could be pretty good on the road IMHO.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I got a Giant Nutra today. Some vintage on that, but looks to be in great shape. I also had wide( 700x35's I believe.)tires on, which was good, because the fellows from the township had graveled the road a square up from where I live. This bike will make a good compact tourer, I believe. Very long chainstays, good clearance, long fork rake. Might be good for loaded touring or trailer tugging.
So now I've ridden a tire wider than 700x32, can't say I see a lot slower times when measuring, but I definitely felt more secure on loose gravel.

OP
OP
keyop_75

keyop_75

I got the bike yesterday and it actually has 700x40 on it. It was excellent on off road and gravel. On the roads, I didn't find much difference. If anything I had a bit more confidence on the front end. The majority of the roads where I live are terrible. Riddled with cracks and small holes. So I found myself able to ride with out the worry of putting 700x23 wheel into a pot hole and causing damage. :smile:

Top Bottom