Yet another what bike advice type thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phil485

I know these are really common and there is no real correct answer, but I am open to valid suggestions.

I currently ride a very second hand trek 1000 and use it 3 to 4 times a week for commuting to work 12 miles ( the shortest route) each way, a couple of 15 mile lunch time rides and try to get in one longer ride at the weekends 40 to 60 miles.
I am hoping to do 2 or 3 sportives this year building up to a 100 miler ( probably the wiggle one in the new forest)

I'm 40, 92 kg reasonably active and the treks sporty position is ok.

I would like to upgrade and I would like a carbon frame. I bought the prolite wheels late last year and am happy to transfer them across.

I get a 15% discount from work on specialized so my brain had a specialized Tarmac at 1500 before discount in mind. I've ridden one for a weekend and thought it was nice but not spectacularly different.

While browsing round the net I stumbled across the Felt AR5 which looks stunning, bit more pricy but I could stretch. I need to ride one and probably a number else.

So what else is there carbon, 1500 ish, 105 or so groupset that would make more sense than either of those two???

philinmerthyr

Über Member
I have a Roubaix. It's a relaxed position and has been superb. I've done 1700 miles on it since October and love it. It had Sora shifters when I bought it but I upgraded after I broke one after a crash on ice so upgraded to 105s. At £1,200 it is below your budget even before your discount so you could upgrade some parts when you need to.

It's a good looking bike as well :smile:

image.jpg

Typhon

Well if you want the best spec for the money and are confident enough to buy online - for roughly £1150 you could have one of Ribble's carbon sportive bikes with 105 specced. Planet X do similar deals, alternatively there is also the Verenti range from wiggle. £1050 for full carbon and 105 with British Cycling discount.

You could also get ultegra on the ribble for about £1400 and the Ultegra version of the Verenti is £1350 with the BC discount.

OP
OP
Phil485

Phil485

Cheers guys.

I started off thinking about a roubaix but had a bike fit on my trek and for the sort of riding I'm doing the Tarmac geometry is a closer fit to my trek. I do like the specialized curvy top tube though, very pretty.

I am relatively happy to buy online and I've built a large number of ribble and Planet X bikes on their websites, I just worry a little bit about the quality and repeat ability of their frames?? Is it just the name that brings the lower cost or something else.

I'd like something a bit different but the more popular bikes must be popular for a reason.

SeeFarr

I've heard great things about the Ribble brand. I think one of the reasons they're cheap is due to there being no middle man to add a bit on. Your actually buying straight from the wholesaler.
If you live within driving distance you could always call in and have a look or get measured up for one. Have a look at Canyon too.

Typhon

Yeah online retailers are just cheaper because of having no middle man. American companies with huge marketing budgets and a lot of control over the country's small bike stores are always going to sell more (e.g. Specialized and Trek) but that doesn't mean they're better. They'd say their frames have undergone more testing and are better, others would disagree. You certainly don't get the kind of spec for your money that you would online in any case.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've just moved from a Trek 1200 to a Planet X RT-57. The riding position of the two is very similar, and the sizes seem to be mostly the same (i.e I went from a 58 1200 to an XL RT and side by side the bikes are almost identical)

The RT57 is in my opinion a stunning bike, although I'd budget for some decent tyres, as the budget Zaffiros that came with the bike are deadly in the damp.

The spec on The RT-57 was better than anything else at a comparable price, and the peeps at Planet X were a pleasure to deal with - I did briefly consider Ribble, but I've had previous problems with their ideas of customer support.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Also look at the warranty on the bikes, some companies offer a lifetime frame warranty and others don't... also look at the policy for warranty if buying online, who is responsible for paying for shipping the bike back

OP
OP
Phil485

Phil485

Cheers for all the advice and suggestions.

In the end after a load of soul searching and tyre kicking, I opted for the felt ar5.
Just love the shape, aero profiles and colour scheme. The 56 cm frame also is a near spot on fit. Could do with a slightly longer stem.

She is so much quicker than my trek and just want you to keep peddling away. Just did a 75mile ride at 18.2 mph which is the furthest I've been and at a pretty quick speed for me.

Top Bottom