Yet Another Where is This Noise Coming From Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I am getting an intermitent (once or twice for a few seconds in the course of 30 miles) crunchy, squeaky, clicking noise from my drive train. It doesn't seem to be related to loading but seems to be in the middle of the cassette range and ceases with a couple of gear changes.
The BB is a GXP Sram with probably no more than 1000 miles on it, the cassette, chain and jockey wheels are all less than 200 miles old and the noise predates the new bits.
The chainrings are coming to the end of their natural lives and will be changed soon, although I can't see them playing a part in making the noise.
The pedals are relatively new and the bearing seem smooth as are the bearings in the rear wheel.
I am going to regrease the BB cups etc and reinstall to see if that makes a difference, but other than that am a bit stumped to be honest.
Any bright ideas?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Crunchy, squeaky, clicky .... Unfortunate mouse caught in your rear mech?

Broadside

Guru
Knackered freehub perhaps? They can make all sorts of weird noises including cracking which sounds more like it's coming from the bottom bracket. If the pawls are a bit damaged they can make a cracking sound as they engage fully.

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

I did wonder if it is the freehub, might whip it off and give a clean and reagrease and see if things improve.

400bhp

Guru
My guess - freehub.

I had a similar noise at similar durations when I had to use my older R501 rear wheel whilst the AL30 rear had gone back to Planet X.

Since I got the PX AL30 back there is no noise.

I replaced and greased the bearings in the R501 but didn't touch the freehub.

Graham

Is the freehub contains the pawls non-serviceable? I've had something similar to this. Eventually the pawls started to miss completely so that I was just spinning the cranks before the pawls engaged properly. Make a nasty cracking noise too!

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Just gave the freehub a proper clean, pawls were slightly sticky so thoroughly cleaned with wd40 regreased the seals, reassembled. Will see if it is any different in the morning. If not will regrease the bb, if not off to Macycles for a bit of professional assistance.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I have a similar noise starts after about 6-7 miles really quiet, goes if I back pedal for a bit then comes back a little worse after 10-15 miles etc etc.

albal

Guru
Just gave the freehub a proper clean, pawls were slightly sticky so thoroughly cleaned with wd40 regreased the seals, reassembled. Will see if it is any different in the morning. If not will regrease the bb, if not off to Macycles for a bit of professional assistance.
What was the outcome of your problem?

Top Bottom