Yet another which bike question

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Ergle, 25 Apr 2010.

1. Ergle

Ergle Über Member

I have a Thorn Sherpa, which I use for day rides and cycle camping. It's a lovely bike and I'm very pleased with it. Loaded with camping gear or not, it's rock steady and a delight to ride.

I am now starting to do some longer rides - I've done a couple of 100km Audaxes this year, and will attempt my first 200 in a couple of weeks time. Also, I've rather foolishly booked on a 2 week supported Tour des Grandes Alpes in September, and have embarked on a hilly training programme to prepare for this.

I am considering buying a lighter bike. The Sherpa weighs 14kg, and I reckon I could spend £600 on a new bike and maybe save 3 - 4kg, which may make those hills a little easier.

I would appreciate some advice as to whether this is worthwhile. Would it make the long / hilly rides easier, or should I stick with the Sherpa?

Finally - as I settle down to that most pleasurable of tasks - internet research as to shiny new bike options - has anyone any recommendations?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice