Yet Another ,Which Bike

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by grumpyoldgit, 27 Jul 2012.

1. grumpyoldgit

grumpyoldgit Über Member

I have gone back to cycling to lose weight & get fit.Doc said it was either that or die.I am now enjoying it more than I thought I would.
    I have a Giant hybrid with front suspension,which is more of a tourer,I find this easier on my hands(please see other thread),I hope to be able to ride a road bike at some stage,but sciatica would,inmho,prevent that for the moment.
    Most of my riding is on tow paths,tracks & some muddy paths,probably like to do roads & hills as well.I will need 2 bikes,but what combination would suit best.
    Budget will be what it needs to be,but would prefer to keep each bike at around a grand.

2. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

would be nice to be able to budget what ever needs . why not keep giant for off road and get a good road bike for road use ... simples

as for which bike , thats a toughie never looked at bikes costing over £350 and always bought 2nd hand then for a lot less

3. goody

goody Über Member

You could keep the hybrid for the off road stuff you are doing and fit some cyclocross tyres or get a cyclocross bike. For the road maybe a traditional tourer such as a dawes galaxy or a sportive based roadie (like a racer but the front end is a bit higher and the steering a bit more relaxed to give a bit more comfort over a long day in the saddle). Having said that a cyclocross bike would cope with all your riding needs it's just that tyres suitable for muddy conditions might not be the best on the road and vice-versa. If you are not ready for drop bars yet then there are more speed oriented hybrids available, (like a racer with flat bars) the boardman ones look nice.

4. OP
    OP
    grumpyoldgit

grumpyoldgit Über Member

I was thinking of changing the Giant fo a lighter bike.There seem to be lots of low milage bikes around that price bracket.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice