Yet another "which hybrid do I buy" thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samshep

Sorry, because I know that there are a lot of these threads and I have just found one which is virtually the same question with almost the same answer...

I have been riding a Carrera Subway 11/12 limited edition with 26in wheels for the last three years. I've gone through a LOT of rear wheels because there's a lot of me (6ft 4 & 19 stone) and I'm not the most sensible person re kerbs, towpaths and gears.

My daily commute involves a couple of steep climbs and/or a long stretch of controversial rough/smooth towpath in Leeds. I'd like to up my commute miles (currently 6-10 miles a day) but the old Subway is getting weary. I'd like to retire it and turn it into a project so I can work out how to mend everything and turn it into a decent back-up bike.

My budget is in the £500 region, less if possible. My genetics are mountain bike, so to speak - my first bike after I trashed a Chopper was a Raleigh Maverick - and I like being fairly upright. I've not ridden with suspension forks before and to be honest I don't think my usual rides would need them.

So, do I go for:
the new subway 2 which seems pretty decent for £350
or push the boat out (£550) a little for a Cannondale Bad Boy
or go for something like a Specialized Crosstrail at £550?

Any ideas?

Osprey

Guru
I would suggest taking a tour of your local bike shops, seeing the bikes in the flesh and test riding them. Enjoy the buying experience.:okay:

Top Bottom