Yet more winter jacket advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tarqs

Hi

I've read the recent thread on winter jackets and just wanted to ask another couple of questions.

I'm carrying a fair bit of timber, 6ft and 17 stone, hence the cycling and would normally take a 44" chest, which seems bigger than many manufacturers offer.

It needs to be supremely breathable and waterproof. Although I can't see me riding in very cold conditions <5 degrees. I don't have a budget, it's more about getting the right bit of kit.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

ACS

Legendary Member
As someone who rides no matter the weather a Gore Element GT AS Gore-Tex Waterproof Jacket is one of the very best contenders for your hard earned beer chits.

Some of the top end jackets from Showers Pass have found favour as have jackets made from the eVent fabric.

roryo07

I would second ACS on the Gore Element GT AS Jacket - Plenty of room for maneuver and completely waterproof!

I am a similar size and shape to you and with a similar attitude. I ride quite briskly for an OAP and don't really get that cold. I have given up on softshell jackets as they just get wet from sweat on the inside. I love my Altura Vapour. So much so that I bought a second one (still unused) just in case they stop making them. The XXL fits my 44 chest. I use it all year round. Over base layer, bibs and a merino when it is cold and rolled up in a pocket on showery days. It is very light, very breathable and waterproof. I got mine from Evans in Manchester.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I use either an Altura Nightvision or it's more subdued Endura equivalent as my waterproof layer in summer and winter. As it gets colder I add a merino base layer and find that pretty much takes care of things. I particularly like the pocket arrangement on both jackets chest (for phone) side pockets and a larger rear zipped pocket for security. I also have a Madison shell (I forget precisely which) that I use for winter mountain biking, not as waterproof but very breathable and useable off the bike. Unfortunately it's very ninja - all black with very small reflective patches so I hesitate to use it on dark, unlit roads.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I use either an Altura Nightvision or it's more subdued Endura equivalent as my waterproof layer in summer and winter. As it gets colder I add a merino base layer and find that pretty much takes care of things. I particularly like the pocket arrangement on both jackets chest (for phone) side pockets and a larger rear zipped pocket for security. I also have a Madison shell (I forget precisely which) that I use for winter mountain biking, not as waterproof but very breathable and useable off the bike. Unfortunately it's very ninja - all black with very small reflective patches so I hesitate to use it on dark, unlit roads.

i have used the Night vision and the Endura equivalent both have let in water after only a couple of years along with the reflective panels peeling off and front zipp coming undone so would struggle to reccomend them

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Had an Endura Nightvision jacket (non-evo). XL was too tight, XXL felt like i was getting drowned.

Bought an Endura Windchill II and even for a lad with a bit of a belly (working on getting rid of) It was a good fit. not quite a relaxed fit but not exactly hand over your throat kind of tight. for a 44 chest i think it would fit you really well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tarqs

Tarqs

Had an Endura Nightvision jacket (non-evo). XL was too tight, XXL felt like i was getting drowned.

Bought an Endura Windchill II and even for a lad with a bit of a belly (working on getting rid of) It was a good fit. not quite a relaxed fit but not exactly hand over your throat kind of tight. for a 44 chest i think it would fit you really well.

Which size did you get?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi

I've read the recent thread on winter jackets and just wanted to ask another couple of questions.

I'm carrying a fair bit of timber, 6ft and 17 stone, hence the cycling and would normally take a 44" chest, which seems bigger than many manufacturers offer.

It needs to be supremely breathable and waterproof. Although I can't see me riding in very cold conditions <5 degrees. I don't have a budget, it's more about getting the right bit of kit.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Won't happen - no fabric can shift the perspiration from a hard working cyclist/runner/walker despite all the marketing rollocks that is spouted.

subaqua

What’s the point
Night vision evo here. I use the XXXL as I like baggy stuff. I have a 52 inch chest . Took a while to find something that fitted good .

Only issues I have is with pocket Zip ends cracking then opening up. I get 2 winters out of it , 3 at most. Never had Any problem with reflective coming off

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Not so much a winter jacket but I bought the Windchill II gilet in the same size from evans as i already own the full on softshell jacket in XXL. You would think that both products are cut the same way but no.... even for an XXL the gilet was uncomfortably tight around my stomach so off it went back to the shop.

Ive ordered myself a Provis - PixElite Softshell Gilet in XXL and XXXL Just to check out the fit. I have nothing to lose as returns for orders over £50 are free. I lose absolutely nothing if neither of these products fit. Since it said 'performance fit' i think the XXXL should be alright, though it might just sit a little too long but we'll see how it goes.when it arrives next week

Top Bottom