Yew wot - ? 'Ow much - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
I do accept that transport costs have to be added in but the quality and choice should be the same as mainland.
There are quite a few common items not stocked, oranges being one example and the designation of our store as a convenience store does not help. This means lots of ready meals and a vast range of booze.
They are also deliberate predators and attack any opposition or anybody who seems to have a successful shop.
Some decisions on stock seem weird as at one point they were trying to sell “ See you Jimmy” hats which may sell at places like Blackpool after lots of booze partaken.
This designation of convenience store is getting a lot of attention just now with a few determined individuals pushing and a petition signed by a lot of people.
We always had tourists but in manageable numbers and for a limited season. It has now got out of hand like many areas of Scotland. Even Lewis is suffering and Callanish is being swamped.

Watched Country File last night A report from the island of Eigg It looks as though that’s heading for major development in an attempt to improve tourism and more housing .Will that mean more outsiders buying up property for holiday let’s.

I don’t know much about the island but it looks quite small in comparison with Mull.

PK99

Legendary Member
Was in our local Co-op recently and saw a wee drum of Italian grated cheese from some poncy supplier. Looked at the price which wasn't cheap, but what shook me was that it equated to £49 / kilo - ! :wacko:And according to the ingredients list, it was simply 'Italian hard cheese'; not even Parmesan - ! :whistle:
The excellent cheese stall on Norwich market only charges £26 / kilo for their genuine fresh Parmesan.
Someone's getting ripped off - ! :rofl:

Small packaged quantities of anything are always more expensive - you are paying for the processing, packaging, multiple handling etc etc

vickster

Legendary Member
Small packaged quantities of anything are always more expensive - you are paying for the processing, packaging, multiple handling etc etc

Not to mention convenience.
For many people, going to a market stall in a city centre between 9 and 5 simply isn’t convenient,
practical or even feasible (I live a 3 hour plus drive from Norwich market for example ;) )

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Watched Country File last night A report from the island of Eigg It looks as though that’s heading for major development in an attempt to improve tourism and more housing .Will that mean more outsiders buying up property for holiday let’s.

Eigg is tiny and community owned. You have to be dedicated to live there but no idea who is the driving force nowadays.
Sadly they are probably trying to cash in on the tourists which will ruin the place but more permanent residents would be a good idea. I doubt outsiders buying for holiday lets would be allowed.
Never actually landed there tho sailed past often as the harbour can be tricky to get into safely.

I don’t know much about the island but it looks quite small in comparison with Mull.

PK99

Legendary Member
Not to mention convenience.
For many people, going to a market stall in a city centre between 9 and 5 simply isn’t convenient,
practical or even feasible (I live a 3 hour plus drive from Norwich market for example ;) )

I've just checked, in my fridge I have half of the block of Parmesin a bought a few weeks ago but only used half of at the time - dried out and useless.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
The Coop has a stranglehold in Hebden Bridge as well, that place desperately needs a reasonably priced supermarket but independant shops and the Coop always oppose this. It should be a basic right to have easy access to a cheap supermarket. You cant be expected to do all your grocery shopping in the Coop, its very expensive.
My friend went to Iona a couple of years back and said there was just a Spa there which was also really dear.
We're looking at moving to North Yorkshire, had one eye on Easingwold but it's the same there. There are more and more houses going up but just a Co-Op and another small shop (Costcutter if I recall). It could do with something like Aldi or Lidl but I suppose it depends on if they think it's worth the investment.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Was in our local Co-op recently and saw a wee drum of Italian grated cheese from some poncy supplier. Looked at the price which wasn't cheap, but what shook me was that it equated to £49 / kilo - ! :wacko:And according to the ingredients list, it was simply 'Italian hard cheese'; not even Parmesan - ! :whistle:
The excellent cheese stall on Norwich market only charges £26 / kilo for their genuine fresh Parmesan.
Someone's getting ripped off - ! :rofl:

Money saving tip #123

Don't buy expensive parmesan and the like. Just buy normal cheddar and leave it unwrapped for a month or so and it turns into Parmesan !

(I'm only half-joking)

Last edited:

Slick

Guru

It is very small compared to Mull and has a totally different way of life as well. The best thing Eigg has got going for it is that it is community owned and that means "sustainability" will be their watchword. I thought it was clear in the program that the focus would be on affordable rents rather than the holiday lets that's damaged other islands as well as other smaller communities throughout the UK.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Apparently people down in London (maybe other places too) happily cough up
And this is the issue. If folk think something or the establishment is trendy, they'll pay silly money for the daftest things. My sister is one of those.
Example being our local caff does a cracking full English brekky, which for the two of us, including drinks, costs a shade under £15. At a trendy cafe not far away, much the same will set you back nearly £33. :wacko:

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
And this is the issue. If folk think something or the establishment is trendy, they'll pay silly money for the daftest things. My sister is one of those.
Example being our local caff does a cracking full English brekky, which for the two of us, including drinks, cost a shade under £15. At a trendy cafe not far away, much the same will set you back nearly £33. :wacko:

A Hotel in York (that we did not book a stay with in the end) wanted £40 per day for 2 breakfasts - crazy!

And yes, some people will pay stupid money to be on-trend.

We have a number of friends who holiday in Dubai every year and they rarely have anything exceptional to say about the place that justifies all the money spent. Usual comments are shopping is great, weather too hot and thank the lord for a/c and more than a bit restrictive re booze & ladies covering up. And then they return time and again as it is one of the places 'to go'.

Sounds like Hell to us - busy city in a too hot desert and not much to do apart from shop and sunbathe.

vickster

Legendary Member
Example being that she took her daughter, grandaughter & son-in-law to a poncy restaurant and they all had - fish & chips - ! :wacko:
Shudder to think what the bill was - ! :headshake:

Surely it’s up to them?
Maybe they simply prefer the atmosphere, decor, staff, food etc to the local caff or chippy?
Just like I won’t willingly go to a Wetherspoons as even if the beer and food are cheap, the overall vibe (and dare I say clientele) aren’t for me!
It’s good to have choice otherwise you’d never get a table at your caff and Chippy if everyone went there!

Top Bottom