Yew wot - ? 'Ow much - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Was in our local Co-op recently and saw a wee drum of Italian grated cheese from some poncy supplier. Looked at the price which wasn't cheap, but what shook me was that it equated to £49 / kilo - ! :wacko:And according to the ingredients list, it was simply 'Italian hard cheese'; not even Parmesan - ! :whistle:
The excellent cheese stall on Norwich market only charges £26 / kilo for their genuine fresh Parmesan.
Someone's getting ripped off - ! :rofl:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
1 KG bag of grated cheese from the supermarket £5 !!
I thought that was a bit steep but i just find it so much easier to use than a block .

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Was in our local Co-op recently and saw a wee drum of Italian grated cheese from some poncy supplier. Looked at the price which wasn't cheap, but what shook me was that it equated to £49 / kilo - ! :wacko:And according to the ingredients list, it was simply 'Italian hard cheese'; not even Parmesan - ! :whistle:
The excellent cheese stall on Norwich market only charges £26 / kilo for their genuine fresh Parmesan.

The coop is the only food shop within my immediate vicinity but I travel 21 miles each way plus a ferry trip to get 99% of my food shopping elsewhere. The price difference pays for the ferry fares plus there is a far greater choice.

Slick

Guru
The coop is the only food shop within my immediate vicinity but I travel 21 miles each way plus a ferry trip to get 99% of my food shopping elsewhere. The price difference pays for the ferry fares plus there is a far greater choice.

Islanders always payed a premium for everything.

Some would argue that it was worth it, but its a long winter, then the tourists arrive. :okay:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

Not anywhere near as bad as Bao buns (which I had never heard of) on the second episode of the current series of Apprentice.

Apparently people down in London (maybe other places too) happily cough up £9.50-11.50 for ONE tiny bun with a sweet or savoury filling.

Absolutely raving bonkers.

Is this the same as the 'Giraffe' thread?
£5.10 a tube for these, must contain 'special stuff'?
1674407106154.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not anywhere near as bad as Bao buns (which I had never heard of) on the second episode of the current series of Apprentice.

Apparently people down in London (maybe other places too) happily cough up £9.50-11.50 for ONE tiny bun with a sweet or savoury filling.

They were weird Bao Buns on The Apprentice - I'm not so sure any of them had eaten any before. I've had them 'up ere' in Manchesterland, and we do two buns for less than £6 at work (Uni). Very tasty, and at a street food place for about £8 for two. They 'filled me up'.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

I'll recommend tryng some. Lovelly super soft steamed buns, and savory fillings - if you love Asian food like me, they are delicious.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Islanders always payed a premium for everything.

Some would argue that it was worth it, but its a long winter, then the tourists arrive. :okay:

I do accept that transport costs have to be added in but the quality and choice should be the same as mainland.
There are quite a few common items not stocked, oranges being one example and the designation of our store as a convenience store does not help. This means lots of ready meals and a vast range of booze.
They are also deliberate predators and attack any opposition or anybody who seems to have a successful shop.
Some decisions on stock seem weird as at one point they were trying to sell “ See you Jimmy” hats which may sell at places like Blackpool after lots of booze partaken.
This designation of convenience store is getting a lot of attention just now with a few determined individuals pushing and a petition signed by a lot of people.
We always had tourists but in manageable numbers and for a limited season. It has now got out of hand like many areas of Scotland. Even Lewis is suffering and Callanish is being swamped.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The Coop has a stranglehold in Hebden Bridge as well, that place desperately needs a reasonably priced supermarket but independant shops and the Coop always oppose this. It should be a basic right to have easy access to a cheap supermarket. You cant be expected to do all your grocery shopping in the Coop, its very expensive.
My friend went to Iona a couple of years back and said there was just a Spa there which was also really dear.

Top Bottom