YHA Selling a Third of its Hostels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Frankly I'd much rather rent a static caravan. About 100x the comfort and often the same price as a single bunk. You get a double bed, your own shower, toilet and a proper kitchen. No contest.

Sallar55

Veteran
Passed a youth hostal in southern Ireland. Was split accommodation, holiday lets and a traditional dorm Much better than selling everything off .

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Frankly I'd much rather rent a static caravan. About 100x the comfort and often the same price as a single bunk. You get a double bed, your own shower, toilet and a proper kitchen. No contest.
I only recall one static caravan at hostel dorm price, in northern Italy. Went for it because of space, private toilet, and other things you mention. No kitchen in it, as it had been refitted to have another private room in the other half. It was a bad idea. It was far too hot to roast in a metal box. Should have gone for the dorm.

In general, in my experience, nearby caravans are usually dearer than dorms.

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
I'd much rather rent a static caravan
Not much good for touring though. If you want to go anywhere you need a network of hostels that are a cyclable distance apart, and can be relied upon to have beds. That's what's been getting eroded for >20 years.
Passed a youth hostal in southern Ireland. Was split accommodation, holiday lets and a traditional dorm
The Crown at Glastonbury used to be half backpackers and half hotel when I stayed there, but it looks like it's all hotel now.

Sallar55

Veteran
There are some fantastic hostels elsewhere in Europe which makes these old places look as if they should be sold. Stayed in this one for less than £60 in a very expensive country. Garaged the bike too.

https://www.hostelworld.com/st/hostels/p/19790/montreux-youth-hostel/
I think ireland has some of the most expensive hostals on Europe. In Dingle today and we are going for a hotel, not paying 130 euro for a mixed dorm and shared toilet. Perhaps we are used to Spain paying for nice 4/5 star at 60 to 100 euro. Or are we seeing the future of budget accommodation or lack of it.

Emanresu

I think ireland has some of the most expensive hostals on Europe. In Dingle today and we are going for a hotel, not paying 130 euro for a mixed dorm and shared toilet. Perhaps we are used to Spain paying for nice 4/5 star at 60 to 100 euro. Or are we seeing the future of budget accommodation or lack of it.

Spent a fortnight in Ireland last month and confirm I am poorer and wiser.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Tobermory was a hostel I almost stayed at but the booking got confused, either by me or them, and it was full when I got there. I stayed a few doors up the seafront but they let me leave my bike there and use the facilities.
The hostel is one of the colourful buildings featured in Balamory.

View attachment 696099
My next door neighbours were wardens there at one time. Must have been a nightmare as both were over the top house proud and I think he even polished his front grass. He is now dead snd his wife is in a care home.
We knew well another couple who were both artists and more reasonable but they moved on some time ago.
I was on the Entertainments Committee of the SYHA which was really publicity and recruitment and later was on the main committee for a few years.
Happy days but it was a long time ago.

Not much good for touring though. If you want to go anywhere you need a network of hostels that are a cyclable distance apart, and can be relied upon to have beds. That's what's been getting eroded for >20 years.
With all the online platforms, I don't think that's an issue any more.

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
With all the online platforms, I don't think that's an issue any more.

So lets say Patterdale hostel has closed, and I want a bed in Patterdale for tomorrow night.

I've just searched for that on Bing Travel, and after faffing around for far longer than a phone call takes, the cheapest I've got is £75 for a hotel 14 miles away in Penrith, or £95 in Calthwaite 19 miles away. Then there's the additional cost of buying food because hotels don't have kitchens to self cater.

Google comes up with four alternatives, all in Patterdale/Glenridding, for between £78 and £255.

(Unlike Bing, Google listed the hostels, too)

Last edited:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I'm surprised they have lasted as long as they have done really. I'm always surprised that adults are prepared to stay in shared bedrooms with people they dont know. I've hated it when I've been as I cant sleep when others are snoring.
I've rented a single room before and thats been fine.

I've just searched for that on Bing Travel, and after faffing around for far longer than a phone call takes, the cheapest I've got is £75 for a hotel 14 miles away in Penrith, or £95 in Calthwaite 19 miles away. Then there's the additional cost of buying food because hotels don't have kitchens to self cater.

I've just done that exact search on Airbnb. 45 quid, but bear in mind that's with one day's notice in June. And at that, I'm not sharing a room with four random strangers.

Sallar55

Veteran
I've just done that exact search on Airbnb. 45 quid, but bear in mind that's with one day's notice in June. And at that, I'm not sharing a room with four random strangers.
Try doing that each day for a week or 2 when on tour.if your in a car its no problem finding accommodation as going off route is easy.

Top Bottom