YHA Selling a Third of its Hostels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
I notice Greenside hostel appears to have gone over to rooms only, no bookings for single beds any more.
I've just done that exact search on Airbnb. 45 quid, but bear in mind that's with one day's notice in June. And at that, I'm not sharing a room with four random strangers.
Patterdale hostel's £30 for tonight, and I don't have to go out and buy a smartphone to find it and book it. I've been sleeping in hostel dorms for 55 years, it doesn't bother me.
Try doing that each day for a week or 2 when on tour.if your in a car its no problem finding accommodation as going off route is easy.
Exactly, even when I was in the Lakes by car, and had a B&B guidebook with me, finding a place at the right price, that takes single bookings, that has a vacancy, and all without driving miles out of the way wasn't easy.

Try doing that each day for a week or 2 when on tour.if your in a car its no problem finding accommodation as going off route is easy.

I did a search out of curiosity for where I live (Belper, edge of the Peak District). There's no way you could have a touring holiday staying around here in a different hostel each night without a lot of organisation. Overnight for a single night in one light would be possible.

I love the idea of youth hostels, but I wouldn't want to stay in one any more. I want my own toilet and shower and a proper bed.

For better or worse, the world has moved on and while I genuinely wish it wasn't, it seems most people agree with me. That's why they're selling a third of their hostels.

Just sharing a strangers house - and pervy spy cameras - instead.

Maybe it's just luck, but I've never felt that there was a pervy spy camera in any of the places I've stayed.

Mind you, I can also tell you from direct experience that not everyone who stays in or operates a youth hostel is entirely trustworthy.

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
There's no way you could have a touring holiday staying around here in a different hostel each night without a lot of organisation.
This is the itinerary of my last cycle tour in 2011, all hostels, and none booked more than a day in advance by phone:

Home
Cambridge
Thurlby
National Forest
Ilam
Castleton
Mankinholes
Ingleton
Elterwater
Elterwater
Wastwater
Barrow House
Ninebanks
Birdoswald
Kielder
Edmundbyers
Alston
Hawes
Kettlewell
Earby
Earby
Mankinholes
Edale
Ravenstor
Sherwood
Thurlby
Cambridge
Home

grldtnr

This is the itinerary of my last cycle tour in 2011, all hostels, and none booked more than a day in advance by phone:

Home
Cambridge
Thurlby
National Forest
Ilam
Castleton
Mankinholes
Ingleton
Elterwater
Elterwater
Wastwater
Barrow House
Ninebanks
Birdoswald
Kielder
Edmundbyers
Alston
Hawes
Kettlewell
Earby
Earby
Mankinholes
Edale
Ravenstor
Sherwood
Thurlby
Cambridge
Home

The only main issue as I see , is it's increasingly difficult to attempt to book any berths, it seems just to get a single bunk in a shared room ,that option is not allowed now.
It appears you have to book the whole room.
Whilst that's ok if it's a twin bedded room, it's normal for these to be 3 bedded family rooms.
Before the 'Panic' demic it was possible, I used to hostel regularly with a group of friends,before that, even then it was increasingly becoming a problem, which has had a knock on effect that,we do not meet at hostels now, we were afflicted to the YH ,but now we have withdrawn that membership.

Pro 'Panic' demic the policy of letting single beds appears to have stopped, and yet life seems to have returned to some semblance of normal, if there are some restrictions.

my last cycle tour in 2011

My admittedly cursory research (in 2023) says it wouldn't be possible to have a holiday in hostels around me without booking a long way in advance. Maybe it would be possible to do better by phone, but why would they do that? People use smartphones to book holidays now. Incidentally, one room was 88 quid. No shared bunks available, I did check.

The real answer is here. People like you are the reason they're closing. You've not used them for 12 years, what about everyone else?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The real answer is here. People like you are the reason they're closing. You've not used them for 12 years, what about everyone else?
Guilty. Not used them since ... er ... 1984. So that's 39 years.

My fault. sorry.

(Oh apart from attending a block booking of one 16 years ago).

NB I stopped being a youth some time ago, too.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My admittedly cursory research (in 2023) says it wouldn't be possible to have a holiday in hostels around me without booking a long way in advance. Maybe it would be possible to do better by phone, but why would they do that? People use smartphones to book holidays now. Incidentally, one room was 88 quid. No shared bunks available, I did check.

Whoa!! That's one hell of statement if you mean it the way it reads. Apart from one night in May I hadn't stayed in a Youth Hostel since 2009, the last time I toured in the UK. Does this make me part of the problem?

We only used the one in May because the hotel down the road was £178 per room for B&B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If the YHA closes one hostel that was part of a network suitable for either walking or cycling between; the remaining two (either side) will see a drop in footfall. A key aspect of YHA was the network you could use without needing to plan too far ahead. You could just walk or cycle between them and know you’d be able to get a bed.

If the YHA closes one hostel that was part of a network suitable for either walking or cycling between; the remaining two (either side) will see a drop in footfall. A key aspect of YHA was the network you could use without needing to plan too far ahead. You could just walk or cycle between them and know you’d be able to get a bed.

Yes: and this is why detangling the cause-vs-effect issue is complicated.

The pandemic also threw a spanner in the works; behaviours may settle back to the norm, but it seems to me that some folks have adopted a more independent/solitary approach to leisure activities and holidays - largely around carrying everything in their portable house i.e. car or mobile-home.

This is not driven by health/infection concerns, but the sheer unpredictability of facilities since 2020. Is BusinessX still there? Can we eat indoors there? Is their toilet available? etc etc ...

Whoa!! That's one hell of statement if you mean it the way it reads.

Of course I'm not laying the blame at any one person's feet, but I question whether someone who hasn't used a youth hostel since 2011 can make statements about how easy they are to book in 2023. My check online tells me that it would not be possible to go on a week's holiday and exclusively stay in YHA accomodation every night in my bit of the Peak District. It also tells me that many of the overnight stays would cost more than a hotel room/airBNB.

Incidentally, the last holiday I booked through YHA was a block booking of a barn with my former partner and her children about fourteen years ago. We had two dogs and I made this clear in the booking, paying what I thought was a bloody fortune (two adults, two kids and a supplement for two dogs). The managers tried to get me to pay the exclusive barn rate as the other family who arrived in the barn had a kid who didn't like dogs and decided they wouldn't be prepared to share with us. Not a great experience.

Last edited:

TrishE

Über Member

I've stayed at Windermere twice, Hawes, and Borrowdale this year but camping as dogs are allowed including in the hostel itself, just not the accommodation or kitchen. Ideal having the kitchen, comfy sofas etc and to meet other hostellers too. Such a shame what the YHA is doing.

I find booking online easy on the YHA website but availability and group only can be a problem.

Last edited:

thistler

Veteran
We stayed at Langdale on Thursday night, in a private room with shower and toilet for £50. It was lovely and much better than our other option, which was a Travelodge in Kendal. £50 was still a stretch but it made our quick Lake District trip much more affordable by being able to bring and cook all our own food, which we couldn't do in a Travelodge. The price for our room seems to go up considerably on weekends and as we get further into the summer. We didn't have any problem booking the room through the YHA website.

We've stayed in youth hostels for most of our holidays since the 1980s, we didn't manage to get away every year but when we did, using the hostels was enjoyable and often the only place we could afford - sometimes staying in the dorms and sometimes in a family room when the kids were very young. I have a lot of wonderful memories from back when I was young and single - walking/cycling/hitchhiking to an area I wanted to explore, turning up at a youth hostel door, and booking a bed for the night.

This whole thing is a big disappointment. We've been very grateful to be able to use the hostels up and down the country over the years. We always preferred the rural ones as going on holiday to a city never appealed to us, so it's even more disappointing that it's the more rural ones that are closing. I know things change and even old grumps like me must accept it. Maybe it's nostalgia talking but the hostels are one thing I wish would stay the same as "back in my day...". We will look at other non-YHA hostels as future options but there is something comforting about going to a place that you know will have a certain basic standard and somewhere I always felt safe, even when traveling alone.

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
The only main issue as I see , is it's increasingly difficult to attempt to book any berths, it seems just to get a single bunk in a shared room ,that option is not allowed now.
It appears you have to book the whole room.
Whilst that's ok if it's a twin bedded room, it's normal for these to be 3 bedded family rooms.
Before the 'Panic' demic it was possible, I used to hostel regularly with a group of friends,before that, even then it was increasingly becoming a problem, which has had a knock on effect that,we do not meet at hostels now, we were afflicted to the YH ,but now we have withdrawn that membership.

Pro 'Panic' demic the policy of letting single beds appears to have stopped, and yet life seems to have returned to some semblance of normal, if there are some restrictions.
I've not been in any since covid, but there seem to be some that are taking bookings for single beds and others that are rooms only, which all makes it less practical to tour from hostel to hostel.
Where did I say I haven't used a hostel for 12 years? I used hostels right up until they closed for covid, and since then I've been too unwell to go anywhere by hostel or any other means.

I've stayed 567 nights at 205 different hostels in my time, how much support have the YHA had from you?

I question whether someone who hasn't used a youth hostel since 2011 can make statements about how easy they are to book in 2023. My check online tells me that it would not be possible to go on a week's holiday and exclusively stay in YHA accomodation every night in my bit of the Peak District.
Since much of my reason for starting this thread was commenting on how it's becoming increasingly difficult to cycle tour by hostel in the way it was still just about possible to as recently as a decade ago, you seem to be trying to contradict me with my own argument.
There's no way you could have a touring holiday staying around here in a different hostel each night without a lot of organisation.
That's the way it's going, but you made that comment in reply to someone who was commenting about the way hostelling has been in the past, implying that's it's never been practical to tour by hostel. In fact, hostels have historically been by far the most practical way to walk and cycle long distance routes.
We stayed at Langdale on Thursday night, in a private room with shower and toilet for £50. It was lovely and much better than our other option, which was a Travelodge in Kendal.
High Close is lovely, it looks so unpromising from the road, but the veranda overlooking the walled garden inside is beautiful. I looked out of the kitchen window one morning when I was getting breakfast, and there was a deer stood in the middle of the lawn. There's a roadside garage just down the road from the hostel that used to have a fairground organ in it when I was a kid. I remember staning in the road listening to it one evening.
turning up at a youth hostel door, and booking a bed for the night
My father said that in his day if you turned up at a hostel and it was full they'd let you kip on the floor, but I suppose that all went out with the car, and elf 'n safety.
We always preferred the rural ones as going on holiday to a city never appealed to us
Yes, I like the little ones in buildings full of character, and in out of the way places where nobody else would get planning permission.
Black Sail, Skiddaw House, Tanners Hatch, Tintagel, Winchester, Badby, Clun, Rowen, Grinton, Dimmingsdale, Telscombe, Hindhead......

Since I had to quit cycling I've been dependent on the train to get anywhere, so my holidays have all been in big cities where I can get a hostel within walking distance of the station, shops, and some museums to keep me amused.

Top Bottom