YODEL......is it always this crap ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Delivery firms have been in a race to the bottom for years. Virtually all of them use casual drivers, franchisees, and/or self-employed drivers. If your local depot is good, then you're fine, but your friend a few miles away might get rotten service from a different location. It's potluck.

postman

Legendary Member
Well i am waiting for some cycling equipment.48 hour guaranteed post.I was notified by e mail.It was posted on the 3rd.I was even given a date 7th or 8th.It has not arrived.So late Saturday i sent the seller an email,telling them they had paid for a service that was not being delivered on.I told them i would wait till Monday's delivery,then i will act again.Rm are having troubles i think with staff,but they are still charging top whack and failing on service.Reduced service should mean reduced pricing.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Competition can be a good thing. But with delivery companies you see things when there is too much competition. Everybody is trying to out do each other, keeping prices low but the knock on effect of that is cuts are made everywhere else, usually to the staff and working conditions. Many years ago my uncle was a multidrop driver. His idea of a full day was 40 to 50 drops with a couple of collections and the likes of Hermes and yodel is around 150 per day these days! Cutting corners, not enough staff working 14-15 hours not uncommon... Full respect to those that do this and do it well!

Reactions: C R

DRM

Guru
Competition can be a good thing. But with delivery companies you see things when there is too much competition. Everybody is trying to out do each other, keeping prices low but the knock on effect of that is cuts are made everywhere else, usually to the staff and working conditions. Many years ago my uncle was a multidrop driver. His idea of a full day was 40 to 50 drops with a couple of collections and the likes of Hermes and yodel is around 150 per day these days! Cutting corners, not enough staff working 14-15 hours not uncommon... Full respect to those that do this and do it well!
It’s nothing new, mate of mine Worked for one of the catalogue (The ones were you ordered stuff and paid weekly) parcel couriers, this was around the early 90’s, he would normally be expected to deliver at least 150 to 200 parcels a day, it’s got to be worse now as costs are literally at rock bottom

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
150 drops per day but is the norm now.
I know a driver who does South East London. He has to battle traffic, parking restrictions and numerous high rise deliveries. Imagine having to deliver to the 20th floor of a tower block.

DRM

Guru
150 drops per day but is the norm now.
I know a driver who does South East London. He has to battle traffic, parking restrictions and numerous high rise deliveries. Imagine having to deliver to the 20th floor of a tower block.
We have engineers who cover London at work, I’ve been told by one of them they start at 3am, any later there’s no point leaving home, nothing gets done due to all of the above reasons

Top Bottom