YOELEO !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Was flicking through YouTube the other night at carbon clincher wheels when I came across many videos where people were reviewing these carbon Chinese wheels. The first video I saw was a guy opening the box that the wheels came in as a kind of first impression review. He was impressed with the build quality and the weight of the wheels. The finish looked impeccable to be honest. Anyway after that I looked at a few more videos on these wheels, there were reviews up to 3000km or so and these guys were extremely impressed with them. In fact I couldn't find a video that said a bad word against them.
Very sceptical to say the least but these wheels are around the $500 mark which I guess is just over £300.

Anyone bought a pair of these wheels ??? Or similar
Have browse on YouTube at 'Chinese carbon wheels'
'Yoeleo'
Or 'Chinese carbon clincher'
Be interested to hear what you think.

http://www.yoeleo.com/

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Get what you pay for.
a cheap Chinese full carbon clincher is unlikely to go anywhere near a wind tunnel so your unlikely to be able to produce any data stating how good or stable they are in cross winds. (Some are really terrible) A cheap full carbon clincher is also often built by companies which do not have to comply with European standards which can mean variable quality.
Reputable wheels companies such as Zipp and Enve test extensively and use different carbon construction for the braking surfaces, cheap full carbon wheels from China often do not.

There has been a number of high profile sportives the world over which has banned full carbon wheels due to failures.

http://forums.bicycling.com/topic/54635607123901591
http://www.bikehugger.com/m/view/opinion-carbon-clinchers-at-levis-gran-fondo
http://www.zipp.com/_media/productreviews/NewCarbonClinchers.pdf

I personally would not buy carbon wheels with an unknown rim. Buy products which companies are willing to stand behind.
Take reviews wwith a punch of salt. Its not it to hard for companies to write/fake them.

Last edited:
Never tried them but would certainly consider it. Alot is made of named brands and yet cheap Chinese tat seems to work ok for most situations. As for failures well every product fails at some point and you can always find a review where someone is slating something. Chains are always a good one.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Never tried them but would certainly consider it. Alot is made of named brands and yet cheap Chinese tat seems to work ok for most situations. As for failures well every product fails at some point and you can always find a review where someone is slating something. Chains are always a good one.

I have personally ridden Chinese carbon clinchers with the same rim depth as my Zipp 808 carbon clinchers and would go as far to say that not only did they not work well, but they were damn right dangerous and unpredictable in cross winds.
I would also challenge the statement "ever product fails at some point" and believe a more accurate statement would be "every product is capable of failing".. This however does not mean failure is a certainty.
A reputable wheel company such as Zipp, HED or Enve has products with certification for passing safety tests and standards set for these types of products unlike unbranded rims from the far east remain an unknown.

Although many Chinese full carbon rims 'seem' to work OK there is no evidence that supports this. I have seen a number at my local crit circuit suffer from build and QC issues such as loose spokes from new.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Never tried them but would certainly consider it. Alot is made of named brands and yet cheap Chinese tat seems to work ok for most situations. As for failures well every product fails at some point ...
I often do over 50 mph on local descents. Carbon fibre has a catastrophic failure mode (it can suddenly shatter) and the thought of having a front wheel 'explode' under me on such a descent does not bear thinking about! :eek:

Top Bottom