Yoga

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Stick with the yoga MDB, we wanna see you in a leotard. Not!

Oh hell will have frozen over by the time I wear one of those, don't worry!!

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I'm 2 sessions in to a 5 week beginner's Iyengar Yoga course - I like it.

It's not high intensity stuff (not meant to be) but does offer some good stretches of parts of the body that I had never felt stretch before.

Sadly, I'm not bendy at all and I am pretty much the bottom of the class.

I am not very supple either, hence why I want to try and do the best I can before I seize up completely!!

Oh and I have bony feet so the 'sitting o the edge of your feet' bits are a fricking nightmare.

Hmmmmm, I have foot problems, so I'll see how it goes.

No pun intended there btw - there are many more impressive backsides in the class than mine

Really?? That hadn't occurred to me!! :laugh::whistle:

J1888

Über Member
Went for my third session yesterday eve - still enjoying it, but I am just not bendy.

Interestingly we had a new instructor who said that in certain poses 'this might be difficult if you do x,y,z and a lot of cycling' hmmm.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There are still some things I find difficult after a year, but I know that I can see a gradual change in how well I can do things like the roll down and up - couldn't do the roll down to start with which I can now but it took a few months and still struggling with being able to do the roll up smoothly.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I tried out some yoga to help with my generally terrible levels of flexibility. It didn't improve this much, but it did help out with core strength in the stomach and lower back, and with my posture in general, which is definitely a good thing. I understand pilates is also supposed to be pretty good for this.

It was bloomin' exhausting though! I remember thinking several times while watching the instructor effortlessly pull off the class that I'd love to do a hill climb or two with them and see them suffer right back ;)

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I tried out some yoga to help with my generally terrible levels of flexibility. It didn't improve this much, but it did help out with core strength in the stomach and lower back, and with my posture in general, which is definitely a good thing. I understand pilates is also supposed to be pretty good for this.

It was bloomin' exhausting though! I remember thinking several times while watching the instructor effortlessly pull off the class that I'd love to do a hill climb or two with them and see them suffer right back ;)

Did you have to pay extra for that?

ChrisEyles

Guru
Haha, looks like I need to pay extra for proof reading lessons for my posts instead ;)

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Right, *THREAD RESURRECTION ALERT, I KNOW!*, but after threatening to do it on and off for years and years and then forgetting all about it, last night, I had my first time, at a 'Yoga For Men' session.
Seemingly this place concentrates on Yoga and does different classes throughout the day as a business. The woman doing it doesn't seem like a 'Hippy Dippy' type and if anything, she seems quite down to earth and with a sense of humour (she obviously needs to have, dealing with me, not to mention a room full of other guys).

I enjoyed it, but I don't think I really benefitted much, purely because I was just watching others and trying to remember everything.

Oh well, better late than never and I was in a room full of blokes in suggestive positions... I liked it! I should have started sooner! ☺️😆

P.S. Reading this thread again is interesting and I'll definitely need to look into the Pilates thing, not to mention return to swimming now too!

Also, I'll try and find out the qualifications she's got.
There was a guy who had to sit on a chair and she catered for another who had a shoulder injury.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
First thing's first though, I need to practice sitting with my legs crossed again as was having difficulty last right, unlike most of the other guys.

I'm now sat on the floor watching the telly, being propped up against the wall. Hopefully over time it'll help strengthen my back through sheer force of the pose, as well as eventually lower my knees.
Maybe.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Update: Bloody 'ell, that has just hurt my legs more than the entire Yoga session last night! ☺️

... I now also realise that the carpet seriously needs a good hoovering! 😆

Last edited:
Top Bottom