Yooffs on bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't think I have ever had another cyclist overtake me on the road.

Occasionally I will overtake a slow pavement cyclist or similar, then have to stop to have a rest/drink/adjust the radio etc and be overtaken by them again.

But a few months ago, I was walking up to the bike lockers where my hybrid was and there were some slightly younger people with BMX bikes nearby. I don't know whether I was just being paranoid, but I'm pretty sure they were watching me as I walked up the road and as I got my bike out of the locker. Prior to retrieving my bike the only thing which would have identified me as a cyclist would be my Shimano road shoes.

I started cycling through the nearby park with the BMXes following me. One managed to overtake me and demonstrated how to go all over the path and make skidmarks. With A LOT of pedaling he got to the end of the path a few seconds earlier than me. I was tempted to go past him but with him going all over the place and the number of pedestrians there, it would have been a bit of a health and safety risk.

Matty

Same thing happened to me a few months back, I was tootling due to fatigue and this guy was going for gold . I didn't even try to catch him in fact I slowed down as we approaced a side road. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fKXmRL5c2y4

That's a classic video. I love the aero position after he gets past, that'll make all the difference wearing trousers like M.C. Hammer!

It's only a scalp if the other rider knows your racing!

I often use other cyclists as targets, when I see them in the distance. Some are clearly slower than me and others not so slow, but they certainly are not scalps

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I seem to be lacking the sense of competetiveness here, if I scalp someone, then fairdos, and if someone scalps me, guess what?, fair dos to them!

I have to agree with addict here, if there is a bike ahead of me, I use it as a point of reference as to what the road is like ahead, and if I can overtake them? so be it, and if I can't, guess what?? so be it!!

That said, I'm more interested in building up stamina than speed at the moment anyway (and the speed presumably will come with more stamina, and so on).

So, if you are a competetive scalper, then, BYEEEE, I'm not gonna kill myself keeping up with you and your schoolboy games!!!:hello:

No, I'm too cool for THAT!! :becool::laugh:

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Is that a bit of passive-aggressive? ;)

No, it's just evil! I do it to old ladies too. Did I mention that I enjoy hurting small fluffy animals?
tongue.gif

(I am of course, joking like a funny thing on a funny day ... just in case anyone thinks I'm being serious!)

fruitbat

Its like on the skyride in manchester at the weekend. All the kids and youngus treated it as a race. Heard one lad saying to his mate, I got to 25mph down that hill. Big deal, I got to 40mph with ease.

Everyone has to start somewhere. That might be the fastest he had been on a bike. No matter how fast you think you are, there's always someone faster.

Top Bottom