Yooffs on bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Due to a little bit of leg fatigue (may have had something to do with 71000ft of climbing in 10 days), I was riding in a relaxed but not hanging about pace last week, I wasn't even in full lycra but my usual road tops with baggies. Yet every day I had some <20 y/o absolutely kill them selves to pass me only to ease off when they got about 5m in front of me.

Exactly what did they think they were proving? Essentially they only proved that they couldn't get close to the rider they'd overtaken if the rider actually gave a s**t. I mean clearly I was riding well within my self & easily outpaced them without a hint of breaking my steady & controlled pace.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Happens several times on my commute, i find it extremely amusing now.
Especially when i easily cycle past them whilst i'm cleaning my glasses on my jersey. byeeeeee suck0rs
wave.gif

potsy

Rambler
I had my 1st TRIPLE scalp today,bang bang bang,get out of my way losers
biggrin.gif
(ok so they were all about 10 years old) but it still goes down in my very thin book of scalps :tongue:

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Its like on the skyride in manchester at the weekend. All the kids and youngus treated it as a race. Heard one lad saying to his mate, I got to 25mph down that hill. Big deal, I got to 40mph with ease.

manalog

Über Member
Due to a little bit of leg fatigue (may have had something to do with 71000ft of climbing in 10 days), I was riding in a relaxed but not hanging about pace last week, I wasn't even in full lycra but my usual road tops with baggies. Yet every day I had some <20 y/o absolutely kill them selves to pass me only to ease off when they got about 5m in front of me.

Exactly what did they think they were proving? Essentially they only proved that they couldn't get close to the rider they'd overtaken if the rider actually gave a s**t. I mean clearly I was riding well within my self & easily outpaced them without a hint of breaking my steady & controlled pace.

Same thing happened to me a few months back, I was tootling due to fatigue and this guy was going for gold . I didn't even try to catch him in fact I slowed down as we approaced a side road. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fKXmRL5c2y4

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Go Potsy Go Potsy Go Potsy...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I had my 1st TRIPLE scalp today,bang bang bang,get out of my way losers
biggrin.gif
(ok so they were all about 10 years old) but it still goes down in my very thin book of scalps :tongue:

Attachments

• laugh.gif
    laugh.gif
    771 bytes · Views: 28

jezhiggins

Happens several times on my commute, i find it extremely amusing now.
Especially when i easily cycle past them whilst i'm cleaning my glasses on my jersey. byeeeeee suck0rs
wave.gif

Tootling through the park on my freight bike with the kiddy in the back, a lad of around 18 on a BMX bike watches us approach. As we pass he launches off, mashing away like a crazy man, and just about manages to get ahead of us. Job done, he sits down (knees up around his ears) and his bike instantly slows to almost a standstill. We're now on a slight down slope, so we just roll past him. I think Harry waved. I did hear some more furious cycling noises, but we didn't see him again.

At least they're giving it a go and on their bikes instead of loitering around bus stops etc.

Cycling is on the up for the first time in years so its surely a good thing to see more kids on bikes no matter how badly they may misjudge their stamina compared to other riders.

In my latest guise of two wheeled commuter again I am getting a few youngsters on various steeds trying to keep up with me, this morning as I passed through the town centre I passed a lad on a hybrid who set off in chase, I turned to go down a long shallow down hill where I just coast while doing slalom with the speed bumps, in the mirror I could see him pedaling like crazy while I was still pulling away from him while coasting, I suspect this means I was doing over 35mph, no GPS at the moment so couldn't say.

Davidc

Guru
At least they're giving it a go and on their bikes instead of loitering around bus stops etc.

Cycling is on the up for the first time in years so its surely a good thing to see more kids on bikes no matter how badly they may misjudge their stamina compared to other riders.

Agree with you. Its in many people's nature to try themselves out against others - it's called competition. Just let them get on with it. If you're a regular cyclist you know your capabilities, those yoofs on bikes are just finding out.

I was much more amused on Sunday by someone - I'd guess in his 30s - who'd clearly gone out and bought all the lycra gear and a brand new Bianchi bike. I was dawdling along on a level piece of road, wearing baggies and a t shirt, enjoying the evening when he went past, uttering a celebratory "yes". It must have been all of 5 minutes later on a not very steep uphill section where he was in bottom gear just about managing to keep going and panting a lot when I went past at about 12 mph. I said good evening, he said shoot. Didn't see him again.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Not so much a race, but amusing all the same...

Center Parcs last year, a group of youths all trying to ride up one of the hills. All but one had stopped and one (the last one riding) was jeering a bit at them as he struggled onwards (in completely the wrong gear), all over the road. I cruised up behind him with my 2 year old in the kiddie seat on the back and slowed right down to allow him to continue... his mates shouted for him to get out of the way and he stopped, allowing us to breeze past with my Daughter shouting "Faster! Faster!". All I could hear was his mates laughing at him and shouting that he'd been left for dust by a bloke with a kid on the back of the bike. To his credit he just laughed with them, but suspect he got some ribbing about it for a while after. :biggrin:

RedBike

I'm still playing the scalp game even though i'm now driving to work.

If I pass a cyclist I get 1 point.
If a cyclist I haven't previously passed overtakes me then I loose 1 point.
If a cyclist i've previously passed overtakes me then I loose 2 points.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Just the other day I scalped a two-year-old on her pink and white bike with glittery tassels on the handlebars. I roared with aggressive pleasure as I bombed past her, deliberately forcing her into a ditch as I did so! I shouted, "You're so slow, you need stabilizers!", then, "No, wait, you do have stabilizers ..."

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Just the other day I scalped a two-year-old on her pink and white bike with glittery tassels on the handlebars. I roared with aggressive pleasure as I bombed past her, deliberately forcing her into a ditch as I did so! I shouted, "You're so slow, you need stabilizers!", then, "No, wait, you do have stabilizers ..."

Is that a bit of passive-aggressive? ;)

Top Bottom