York CTC Rally - What Goes On?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
In another thread rickangus asks

rickangus said:
What actually goes on at the York rally? I've never been, living 250 miles away. Perhaps this should be a new post.

My best description is that a lot of people come and camp on the Racecourse. In days gone by I assume people largely got there by train and bike, but increasingly people seem to drive up in fancy cars and camper vans.

At the rally there's a couple of big marquees with exhibitions and various stalls selling (mostly) cheap cycling gear, and usually a few crackpot inventors with some new gadget that they think will revolutionise the cycling world.

The CTC organise a myriad of events (rides, competitions, etc), and there is always the "saddlebag" sale where attendees can flog of bits of kit to each other.

Lots of people clearly find it a great social occasion, but as I live nearby I tend to pop in for an hour or so, and miss out on all the exciting social activity.

I am sure that there will be other forum members who can fill in some of the gaps in my description - e.g. I have always wondered you what goes on after dark.

rickangus

Über Member
That actually sounds like it could be half interesting - if only for the buying/selling aspect.

I might try and fit that in with a visit to friends - am I right in thinking it is sometime in June?

Arch

Married to Night Train
21st/22nd

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=4377

I'll expect to be there all the time manning (womanning?) the Velovison stand and looking about as normal. The social aspect for me is usually a meet up of mates on the Friday, and the Velovisionaries ride on the Saturday evening - a loose affiliation of people riding to a pub, no one actually organises it (that would imply control and effort) we just put up a bit of paper with a depart time and a rough map.:biggrin:

Back at the site, I gather there is normally a dinner with a band or something like that.

It's awful. Loads of weirdy beardy types dressed in 20 year old cycling gear with mirrors attached to their helmets. Lots of tandems. The gear on sale is a load of old tat. A few half interesting maufacturers stalls. WHICH I HAVE TO PAY TO VISIT.

I thought the auction of frames/bikes would be interesting but in all honesty, I wouldn't have pulled many of the items out of a skip.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Come on D G it's not that bad. There's a wide mixture of people at the rally not just weirdy beardy types, and lots of families with kids. Even my 15 year old son who normally hates me dragging him to any kind of organised event enjoys going for a few hours.

There is tat on sale, but also some real bargains. Last year I got a brand new Altura Nightvision jacket for £25 which ain't bad. And you can stock up on enough cheap chains and inner tubes to last you for a life time.

And if you get bored, you can always ask people on the Velovision stand difficult questions.

byegad

Legendary Member
For me it's the Saturday ride and the Sunday Parade through York that gets me back every year. The sale and exhibits are worth a look. My wife had a test ride on a Trice last year while I tested 5 or 6 different 'bents. We went not knowing what to expect some years ago and have only missed one due to our main holiday clashing with it by (our) mistake.
You get to see unusual bikes, talk to people who ride them and realise you are not on your own.

Christopher

Über Member
Sounds fun - I'd love to try out a few recumbents!

Then meet Arch @ the VV stand! :smile::girl:

Oh and sample the York Brewery wares...

Not sure of the running order of the above...

Yeah, the Ron Kitching Ride. What's that all about? I pay £15 for someone to give me a list a rough directions. I then ride through the NY Moors. No signage, no support, no refreshments. Just a list of rough directions. And people with beards and saddlebags. Great fun.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Disgruntled Goat said:
It's awful. Loads of weirdy beardy types dressed in 20 year old cycling gear with mirrors attached to their helmets. Lots of tandems. The gear on sale is a load of old tat. A few half interesting maufacturers stalls.

I thought the auction of frames/bikes would be interesting but in all honesty, I wouldn't have pulled many of the items out of a skip.

I went for the first time for a couple of hours and had a lovely time. Yes there are a LOT of beards around (I felt very young and very girly) but the husband and I spent a lot of money, had a lot of fun and fancy going back and camping this year!! We particularly liked the bicycle polo.

Arch

Married to Night Train
spandex said:
now thats good beer:biggrin:

Trouble is, the VV ride is normally to the Ship at Acaster, and they don't do York Brewery beer.. ON the other hand, there are two whole days (minus whatever time you spend at the Rally) to go into town and sample a few beverages...;)

Any CCers' are more than welcome to come and say hello if they spot me! It helps if you tell me who you are of course. Last year someone tried to make me guess, which could have been a very very long process.... Still he then insisted on taking a pic to prove he'd met me!:biggrin:

haggard rider

Disgruntled Goat said:
Yeah, the Ron Kitching Ride. What's that all about? I pay £15 for someone to give me a list a rough directions. I then ride through the NY Moors. No signage, no support, no refreshments. Just a list of rough directions. And people with beards and saddlebags. Great fun.

I have neither beard nor saddlebag and take great delight in repeatedly meeting the d**kheads who can't even follow rough directions. And if I remember rightly you get to ride some cracking hills, in some stunning scenery.

byegad

Legendary Member
;)This is taking on an anti-beard flavour. Remember, so long as you're male, a beard is natural and no beard is girly!:smile::wacko::girl::biggrin::smile:

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
I have to say, I think the idea that the CTC rally is teaming with men sporting beards is a bit of an urban myth. I certainly can't remember there being a particularly high proportion of beards in previous years.

And before anyone accuses me of being pro-beard let me say that I have never worn a beard, do not currently have a beard, and never intend to have a beard. However if I have to choose between men with beards and men with pony tails I'll go for the beard any day.

PS Moustaches are OK though!

Top Bottom