York Cycle Show

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Found a strange bike with big wheels I parked my Woodrup next to it for comparison. It's a bit impractical for off road cycling as it has next to no tyre clearance.
uploadfromtaptalk1340465550744.jpg

Night Train

Maker of Things
Spandex's bike!:hyper:

I've ridden that!:thumbsup:
It's a 36"er.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

It was a very interesting bike. No good for riding off road as there's not a lot of tyre clearance. It would have been an interesting experience.

The show was underwhelming though. I tried very hard to find somewhere to spend some money and managed to purchase a titanium set of troughing spanners from Alpkit and an ice cream. I stayed away from the hog roast van and it's neighbours.

I had lots of interesting conversations with folk who were interested in the Woodrup including one chap who identified me by the bike - he's a lurker here.

The vintage bike display was interesting and at the Brooks stand I saw an apple green B17 that I had considered specifying when I had the Woodrup built. It didn't suit the bike. I fancied a leather mud flap but I wanted black and Brooks only do brown.

I also met up with quite a few folk that I haven't seen for a while on the North Yorkshire Audax rides.

A tip for next year for anyone wanting a bargain - there were some very nice bikes going for very little money in the auction tent.

There was a bit of drama on the York Selby cycle path by the Ouse on the way back to the city centre. The millenium bridge seemed to have a lot of folk on it some of them in hi vis clothing. It turned out to be the police and fire services checking out reports of someone being in the river. They were joined by an inflatable water rescue dingy manned by the fire service.
When I reached the Kings Arms - underwater again, the dingy was being hauled out of the water nearby. I don't know the outcome of the investigation. I hope that it was a hoax for all the right reasons.

Arch

Married to Night Train
What's it like to ride?

I bet it goes up kerbs a treat!

I'm sorry, I read that as 'kebabs'....

NT will be along shortly to tell you about it. I see Spandex out and about on it a bit, and the funny thing is I tend to notice it's him first, and then clock the bike - but then I'm used to oddities!

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

I'm sorry, I read that as 'kebabs'....

NT will be along shortly to tell you about it. I see Spandex out and about on it a bit, and the funny thing is I tend to notice it's him first, and then clock the bike - but then I'm used to oddities!

You could lay the bike on its side and form kebabs around the spokes and spin the wheels over a bbq fire for the mother of all kebab fests...

Supplementary question - where can I get one? :hyper:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Not a hoax she was pulled out safely. http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9779195.Woman_rescued_from_River_Ouse/

I bought a nice body warmer thing that was completely uncycle related. Had a nice ride out to the pub yesterday with Velo vision readers. Saw your bike Vernon :-).

Off out now to go and keep Bikepete company on the stand.

Again, I read that as 'unicycle related'....

Night Train

Maker of Things
What's it like to ride?

I bet it goes up kerbs a treat!
It does, potholes are not a problem either. Spandex has riden it up the 12" or more high step into his workshop.

When I had a go it wasn't complete yet, only one brake and no paint. The front wheel felt like it was right under my chin. The gyroscopic forces were huge once it got going and steering took a bit of advanced planning. Very very stable and hard to fall off from. Great fun, so smooth to ride and it accelerates like a train. It just surges forwards with the wheels smoothing out the power strokes from the cranks.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

It does, potholes are not a problem either. Spandex has riden it up the 12" or more high step into his workshop.

When I had a go it wasn't complete yet, only one brake and no paint. The front wheel felt like it was right under my chin. The gyroscopic forces were huge once it got going and steering took a bit of advanced planning. Very very stable and hard to fall off from. Great fun, so smooth to ride and it accelerates like a train. It just surges forwards with the wheels smoothing out the power strokes from the cranks.

I couldn't believe how small my bike looked when placed next to Spandexs' bike.

Nice photo Vernon and there is a bonus in the photo too that is you got my legs in the shot as well :-) (the ones with the orange jacket)

Arch if you want photo's of it with a Brompton there is some on facebook just look for yourspokes and you will find them, or just pop by with yours it's always good to see you ;-)

Top Bottom